Having Problem loading into AStar LV board

Hi,

I am having problem loading code into AStar LV. It is not completing the whole process. Please help.
Here is the Snippet of code through terminal.

$ avrdude -c stk500v2 -P /dev/tty.usbmodem00148991 -p atmega32u4 -U flash:w:polulu.hex:i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Device not configured
HARDIKs-MacBook-Pro:pololu hardikpatel$ avrdude -c stk500v2 -P /dev/tty.usbmodem00148991 -p atmega32u4 -U flash:w:polulu.hex:i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude: NOTE: “flash” memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file “polulu.hex”
avrdude: writing flash (3182 bytes):

Writing | ########## | 20% 0.09savrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Device not configured
HARDIKs-MacBook-Pro:pololu hardikpatel$

Hello.

I am sorry you are having trouble programming your A-Star. Since we have multiple products with “A-Star” and “LV” in the name, could you provide the full name of your board or a link to the product page?

Since the AVRDUDE command you posted contains your programmer’s serial number (except for the last digit), I was able to determine that you are trying to use a Pololu USB AVR Programmer. Is that right?

I think your issue might be caused by an incompatibility between older firmware versions of that programmer and a particular version of macOS. To confirm this, can you please tell me what version of macOS you are running? Also, please run the following command and post its output here, so I can see what firmware version you are running on the programmer:

ioreg -p IOUSB -n "Pololu USB AVR Programmer" | grep bcdDevice

–David

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

The board is Astar 32U4 prime LV.

Yes I am using Pololu usb avr programmer stk500v2??

I ran the code you provided:

HARDIKs-MacBook-Pro:pololu hardikpatel$ ioreg -p IOUSB -n “Pololu USB AVR Programmer” | grep bcdDevice
“bcdDevice” = 263

Thanks for the information. Again, can you tell me what version of macOS you are running? You can find this information by opening the Apple menu in the upper left and clicking “About This Mac”. The version number should be a sequence of three numbers starting with “10.”.

–David

Hi David,

Its Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.5.

It sounds like you are using a computer running macOS 10.13.5 with a Pololu USB AVR Programmer running firmware version 1.07. Unfortunately, there is a compatibility issue that prevents that firmware version from working with macOS 10.11 and later. To fix the problem, I recommend upgrading the firmware of your programmer by carefully reading and following the instructions in the “Upgrading Firmware” section of the Pololu USB AVR Programmer User’s Guide.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

–David

Thank you David.

Is there a way that I can program Astar prime LV without pololu usb programmer?

I wanted to use the micro usb cable and connect it straight to computer. Would that be possible?

Yes. Each A-Star 32U4 board ships with a USB bootloader stored in flash memory that allows you to program it over USB without using an external programmer. If you go to the product page for the A-Star 32U4 Prime LV and click on the Resources tab, then you can find the Pololu A-Star 32U4 User’s Guide. The “Getting started” section of that document explains how to program the board over USB using the bootloader.

Unfortunately, your earlier attempts to use the Pololu USB AVR Programmer probably erased the bootloader on your A-Star. You can see whether the bootloader is still there by disconnecting the A-Star from everything, plugging it into USB, and then pressing the reset button twice within 750 milliseconds. If the bootloader is still there, it will run for about 8 seconds and you will see the yellow LED fading in and out smoothly during this time. If the yellow LED does not behave that way, then your bootloader has been erased and you will need to use an external AVR programmer to restore the bootloader.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

–David

Thanks David. I will do that.

And also, I was able to update the version on pololu usb programmer and its working fine.
Thanks !