Guidance with ordering Romi with Raspberry Pi

I’ve never ordered from Pololu and am a newbie to the products and Raspberry Pi (but I am an Engineer with an IT background).

I plan on ordering everything listed at this URL:

This calls for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ but I’m wondering if the Raspberry Pi 4 would work for this. Does anyone know?

I also am considering getting these:
USB-A to Micro-B cable
USB Wallwart
Is there anything else that I should get for this project?

Last… I’m also thinking of getting the Robot Arm Kit and Romi Chassis Ball Caster Kit. Any comments regarding this?

Hello.

While we haven’t specifically tried that project with a Raspberry Pi 4, I suspect it should all still work fine.

Other than the additional parts you listed, you will also need six AA batteries; we typically recommend using rechargable NiMH batteries, in which case you will probably want a charger too, if you do not already have one.

The Robot Arm Kit would be a fun addition to that project, and the additional ball caster is a good idea when using the arm to help prevent the robot from tipping forward; you can increase the tension of the front ball caster as needed using some rubber bands. If you don’t have a plan yet for powering the servos, some consideration are mentioned in the “Using the Robot Arm for Romi” section of the Robot Arm Kit’s user’s guide. One option described there is using something like our #2859 D24V22F6 regulator to reduce the voltage to 6V for the servos.

Brandon

Brandon - thanks much!

Hello. I never got around to ordering the items we discussed (3 years ago); and am looking at this again now. Thanks much.

1. I will get the Robot Arm Kit & additional ball caster.
  2. Do you sell the Raspberry Pi or do I need to get that somewhere else?
  3. Which Raspberry Pi would you recommend for this project now?
  4. Are there new alternatives to what we first discussed?
  5. Looks like you no longer sell the battery charger. Any recommendations there?
  6. Anything else?

We do not currently carry any Raspberry Pi boards directly. Raspberry Pi stock has recently been hard to come by, although it seems be improving over the last few months; you might check Adafruit or use something like this RPi Locator tool.

We don’t have a specific recommendation for which Raspberry Pi to use (it will generally depend on what you’re doing with the robot), but any flagship Raspberry Pi board starting with the Model B+ or newer (e.g. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and A+ as well as the Raspberry Pi 4) should work with the Romi.

Unfortunately, I do not have any alternative suggestions for incorporating the robot arm.

As far as a battery charger, since the Romi uses standard AA cells, you can use any basic AA NiMH battery charger. I personally like ones like this 8 bay charger that can do AA and AAA independently (some chargers require pairs or certain sets of batteries at a time to work). However, please note that I cannot vouch for that particular brand or seller.

Brandon

Thank for your help.

1 Like

I just ordered the Robot Kit for FIRST and an Expansion Plate and Robot Arm Kit. I forgot to order batteries/battery holder. Does battery holder come with the kit? Which batteries do you recommend, and how many?

I figured out the batteries - just need to know if I need a battery holder.

Thanks

The AA batteries for the Romi get installed into battery compartment built into the underside of the Romi chassis. For reference, you can see how they are installed in the “Assembling the Romi Chassis” section of the Romi Chassis user’s guide.

Brandon

Thanks. Sorry I bothered you for this. I didn’t look around your site enough (I ran out of time when planning for this - it was a birthday present).