GP2Y0A60SZLF with m3pi

I am building a group of m3pi robots that should be able to talk to each others through wixel. I want them also to be able to detect each other and for this, i will be using https://www.pololu.com/product/2476 GP2Y0A60SZLF Analog Distance Sensor 10-150cm, 3V… I need your recommendations before buying the kits because i already baught 20 of those https://www.pololu.com/product/702 IR Beacon Pair just to find that the output is digital. I know it’s my mistake and that’s why i am asking before buying the new ones.

Thanks

I am not sure what kind of recommendations you are looking for. One thing to note about the Sharp analog distance sensor you linked to is that they will detect anything in the environment (e.g. a wall), not just another robot. This could limit their effectiveness for your application in anything other than a flat environment.

Can you expand on why the digital output of the IR beacons will not work for your application? If you want to sense distance between robots, you might consider using the IR beacons together with analog sensors.

By the way, that sounds like a fairly ambition project. If you are not doing so already, I suggest taking it slow and getting the different parts working separately first.

-Brandon

I wanted to know if any power issues might arise for example… stuff like this… the environment i have is a flat environment.

The problem with Pololu IR beacons is that the maximum detection range is 20 feet, so whenever a robot is 20 feet away which the whole lab space, it will output 1. That’s why, using them together with analog sensors will not be of any use.

I have everything working separately… i just want to get all of them to work together… In fact, the problem of the digital IR beacon delayed me a lot in this project.

Thanks for your reply

I am sorry the IR beacons caused such an inconvenience. If the 20ft detection range is the main reason they would not work for you, you might consider changing the current limiting resistors as described in this post. It might be a little tedious, but since you already have the IR beacons, it could be worth trying on a couple to see if you can get them to work better for your application.

-Brandon

[quote=“BrandonM”]I am sorry the IR beacons caused such an inconvenience. If the 20ft detection range is the main reason they would not work for you, you might consider changing the current limiting resistors as described in this post. It might be a little tedious, but since you already have the IR beacons, it could be worth trying on a couple to see if you can get them to work better for your application.

-Brandon[/quote]

Thanks for your reply… I am the one who asked the question in the post you attached and it still has the issue that it might not produce the same result. One could have a max range of 10 cm while the other might have a different range…

Anyways, thanks for your time