DRV8833, Arduino, gyro schematic?

1. What I was looking for was a battery pack that would use the existing ac/dc adapter power supply plug on the mega board. There’s nothing like that available? A battery pack with the round plug connected isn’t available?

2. Do the 4.8V NiMH batteries function the same as a 5V power supply from the mega board?

3. The other problem is how do I connect/power all the peripherals into the mega board. I have another motor driver from Pololu a DRV8833 that I haven’t connected yet that also needs a gnd and vcc connection that the Toshiba is already using. I have to drive 5 motors in total.

1. I am not aware of any battery packs like that, but you might be able to find one or make one.

2. No, batteries are different from the Arduino’s 5 V regulator in several ways. For example, batteries can provide more current but their voltage will vary more. A freshly-charged 4-cell NiMH pack could have a voltage well over 5 V.

3. Jumper wires and breadboards can help you make those connections.

–David

I have been using the toshiba motor driver to run a couple of 3 V dc motors on the plastic edge robot arm. Our project is moving to a lynx metal arm with servo motors.

1. Is there any difference driving servo’s instead of dc motors.

2. the project doesn’t allow breakout boards except for sensors. we
    have to make a motor control board for six servo motors - any suggestions
    about chip selection and smt techniques? Do you sell individual chips without
    the breakout boards? individual chips for a power supply control board?

Yes, controlling servos is very different from controlling DC motors. We sell some servo controllers that might be useful to you. I recommend reading the blog posts by our company president explaining what a servo is and how it is controlled:

pololu.com/blog

We sell some individual motor driver chips and you can find them at the bottom of our product page:

pololu.com/catalog/category/11

Who is imposing that restriction on you? Is this project part of a contest? I do not have any particular advice on SMT soldering, but you can find many tutorials online. There is also a book from Elektor:

elektor.com/products/books/e … 5204.lynkx

Feel free to post more specific questions here on the forum and someone might have an answer for you.

–David

the senior design proj EE instructor requires making our own pc board equipment like microcontrollers and power supplies. I am not even certain about sensors (gyros, acc’s) other than something like a FSR that can be used as purchased.

Our servos will be run from a microcontroller board that we have to make ourselves.
our mcu board will be about like an arduino uno - is that sufficient to drive the control signals to six
servo motors - lynx robot arm plus wrist upgrade - I read some of the articles on servos - it appears it
should be. I am not certain about the response time limitations

Premium Jumper Wire 10-Pack F-F 12" Yellow pololu.com/catalog/product/1744

1. do you have any 12" M-F jumper wire?
  2. do you have any longer than 12" jumper wires?

Yes, you can use an Arduino Uno to control six servos. If the Arduino’s Servo library doesn’t do the job, you could probably adapt the OrangutanServos section of our Pololu USB AVR C/C++ Library.

You can find all of our jumper wires by navigating around in the Premium Jumper Wires category:
pololu.com/catalog/category/65

It looks like we do not have anything longer than 12". You can, of course, connect two jumper wires together to form a longer wire.

–David

I bought #1704 Premium Jumper Wire 50-Piece Rainbow Assortment M-F 12"
our group is using a lynx al5d arm h/w only without any servos or electronics.

1. Do you sell compatible servos? we intend to buy servos - we have to provide all the electronics and s/w

2. Do you have any suggestions/comments on servo speed? I am concerned about our response time -
    we are trying for less than 0.1 second delay of robot arm tracking human arm - is there a problem
    with delay accumulating through the six motors (includes wrist upgrade with medium servo)?

We sell standard RC servos. What do you mean by “compatible servos”? If you are wondering if our servos will work with an Arduino, then the answer is yes. Having six servos should not cause a delay.

–David

I meant will work with the al5d lynx arm AL5D-NS

… to even start to put it together we need the motors.

email from a project member who bought the arm

Hello. I am not familiar with that arm, so it is hard for me to recommend servos for you. I see there are some servo models listed on this page, but I am not sure how similar that arm model is to yours.

–David

yes, that is the exact arm, we had a team meeting and wound up debating buying
analog servo motors and digital servo motors. Are you familiar
with any significant advantages? the digitals cost more.

Hello.

Jan wrote about this in one of his blog posts about servos:

- Ryan

Can you tell me anything about servo control boards? We are
purchasing six digital servos - intending to run them from an atmel based mcu board.
Our intention is to power supply the servos from a separate power supply
and send motion commands directly from the atmel. Is there any
advantages to having a servo control board between the mcu and the servos?
This isn’t an industrial quality device, it is basically a one-time demonstration
device or at best a robotics lab research device.

I recommend reading the Maestro Servo Controller’s product page for more information about servo controllers. You can see if the features it has are worth it for you. If you use a servo controller, your MCU won’t be burdened by the control, and a dedicated product is probably going to be more reliable, allow more servo channels, and produce better results.

- Ryan

concluding post:
thank you for your responses and info,
the project was moderately successful considering we only worked on it for 4 weeks because of a 7 week delay in getting servo motors. Anyone interested in the project can view the course required documentation at
eecs.ucf.edu/seniordesign/fa2012sp2013/g10/