Designing an expansion board for 3pi+

Hello

I am designing my own custom expansion PCB for the 3pi+ robot. I am adding the functionality of communication (using a XBee, specifically a XBee USB Explorer board) to these robots for my experiments.

I am a newbie when it comes to PCB design, I was hoping to get some confirmation about the drill hole sizes and spacing, and the location of the 7x2 header (which is used for connecting the LCD, I am repurposing it for the XBee) on the control board.

I am attaching all the files that I made for reference.

Project files

Files located:
Eagle Project - 3PI+_XBEE_EXP.zip
Custom Libraries - custom_lib.zip
PDF to specify spacing and sizing requirements - details_needed_sizing_spacing.pdf

Thanks

Hello.

You should be able to double check those aspects of the design using the resources we have available for the 3pi+ 32U4 Control Board. We have a DXF drill guide for that you can use to check the hole alignment and sizes. For the location of the 7×2 header, you can refer to the 3D model (STEP file) we have for the control board. Those files are available on the control board’s product page under the “Resources” tab.

By the way, if you are also interested in designing a board to support the newer 3pi+ 32U4 OLED Control Board, the same resources are available on it’s product page under the “Resources” tab.

- Patrick