Pololu Robotics & Electronics
My account Comments or questions? About Pololu Contact Ordering information Distributors

D24V5F5 Overheating?


Using D24V5F5 (rated at 500mA) to reduce 10 Volts to charge/power cell phone. Current draw is 270mA. Regulator gets hot enough to cause burns. It does not cutout on overheating. Is this acceptable or should I switch over to the 1A regulator?



It is not unusual for regulators to get too hot to touch in their normal operating conditions. If you post more details about how you are testing the regulator, I might be able to tell you if everything seems fine. How did you measure 270mA and was it at the output of the regulator? What is attached to the output? Could you post a picture that shows how the regulator is mounted in your setup?