D-Shaft to Tamiya adaptor

It would be good to be able to fit the 3mm, 4mm, 6mm D-Shaft gearmotors to the Tamiya wheels that normally take the hex shafts. Some kind of plastic/metal adaptor that is a press fit to the D-Shaft and hex hole in the wheels.

Hello.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are there particular Tamiya wheels you like? I am concerned that the adapter could be quite bulky and cost more than the wheel, in which case we’d be better off working on just a wheel solution.

- Jan

I was thinking of a little adaptor like the lego ones
pololu.com/catalog/product/1011

3mm D-Shaft in one end, Hex on the other.

Or, maybe something like the 4mm hub that comes with the Tamiya wheels, but with a keyed shaft hole rather than the round hole they have.

Thought it might be good to be able to easily use any of the Tamiya wheels with the micro-metal and mini-metal gearmotors. No particular wheel in mind.

I guess if it was to support bigger shafts/motors then it would need to be really beefy and probably not worth the cost.

Hello,

I was wondering if there is an adapter available now to connect Tamiya’s 70145 Narrow Tire on a D shaft of micro metal gearmotors? None of the Pololu wheels have such a nice grip and feel as Tamiya’s narrow tires. For my project, I find Pololu wheels to be very thin and flimsy compared to the Tamiya wheels. Any suggestion on what I can use?

Thanks,

Ved

Hello.

We do not have an adapter for that, but you might be able to construct something yourself. Regarding your comment about the wheels being flimsy, did you have a particular experience where they did not perform well? They seem just as sturdy as the Tamiya narrow tires to me.

- Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I do see a performance difference. My robot has two wheels at the back driven by two micro metal gearmotors and two Tamiya ball casters at the front for support. Robot goes straight for 2 sec, then it turns by stopping one of the motors for 1 sec. This sequence repeats forever making robot’s path a polygon. Using Tamiya narrow tires, robot turns a consistent angle every time, whereas Pololu wheel gives variable angle at each turn and sometimes while trying to turn, wheels also slip. I feel that this is because of higher surface contact area in the case of Tamiya wheels, which provides a good traction with the floor.

Ved