Creating Custom Cables

I’m looking to create some custom cables. I was looking to use the crimp pins and crimp connector housings.

However, I’d like the wires themselves to be bonded together (like a flat ribbon cable). I’m hoping this will give my project a more finished look and avoid the rat’s nest of individual wires.

I’d like to end up with something like this: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10375

Is there a way to bond wires together myself? Alternatively, can you buy lengths of wire that are bonded together?

Hello,

As far as we know, ribbon cables are manufactured in one piece instead of being bonded together from individual wires, so there probably is not a practical way for you to bond wires together yourself. You can find unterminated ribbon cable at online suppliers like Digi-Key; just make sure that the wire gauge is appropriate for the crimp pins and tools that you want to use.

Alternatively, if you want to keep a cable made of individual wires organized, you could consider braiding the wires or using something like spiral cable wrap to keep them together.

- Kevin