Controlling Mini Maestro 18 with MAX.MSP patch

Hello,

I have a Maestro MINI 18 which I want to control from MAX/MSP.
Does anyone have a patch that worsk?
I can connect and I see a reaction when I move a slider in MAx but no reaction from the servo.
If I use the Maestro Control Center it works fine.
I’m not a real programmer so a bit of simple help would be appreciated!
MTA, East1

I am not familiar with MAX/MSP, and we do not have any specific resources for it. However, from a quick look through their reference documentation, it looks like it supports creating serial objects, so you might try using that to communicate with the Maestro through its virtual COM port (please note that the Maestro’s serial mode should be set to “USB Dual Port”). Alternatively, if MAX/MSP has a way to use the command prompt (directly or through something like a shell script), you could try using it to invoke the UscCmd command-line utility.

Brandon

Hi!
Thansk for your remarks…
I can actually communicate with the maestro.
When I move s input lider I see the green led responding.
It currently uses a arduino compatible interface.
MAX/MSP is thé goto application for creative projects controlling, servos,sound, lights etc.m Especiall when it has to be interactive.
So it would be super if there would be a simple patch which interfaces with the maestro.
MTA, IStvan

It is not clear to me what you have working so far. It sounds like you might be trying to send some kind of communication but haven’t been able to move a servo yet.

Since we aren’t familiar with the software you’re using, the support we can offer is limited, but in case it helps, I tried using MAX MSP and was able to successfully control the servo with a virtual button through the Maestro’s serial COM port like I described in my first post with a setup like this:

Please note that you will probably need to change the COM port for your Maestro, and your Maestro’s serial mode needs to be set to “USB Dual Port”.

Brandon

Thanks!

It’s working now.
I’m able to control multiple servo’s.
Next would be to be able to control multiple Maestro’s from same pC?
I understood that that was possible using an Arduino?
Would it also be possible with a Raspberry Pi?
MTA again,
East1

You can control multiple Maestros from the same computer (or Raspberry Pi) by connecting them both via USB and specifying which COM port you’re connecting to.

If you’re using the UART interface (e.g. from an Arduino or Raspberry Pi), then you can daisy chain the Maestros and use the Pololu protocol to specify the device number of the specific Maestro you want to respond to each command. You can find more information in the “Daisy Chaining” and “Command Protocols” sections of the Maestro user’s guide, respectively.

Brandon

Thanks!

It’s working now.
I’m able to control multiple servo’s.
Next would be to be able to control multiple Maestro’s from same pC?
I understood that that was possible using an Arduino?

I gave some information and resources for controlling multiple Maestro controllers from a PC, Raspberry Pi, and Arduino in my previous post. Is there something in particular that you’re having trouble with? If so, could you post more information about your setup, what you’ve tried already, and what is going wrong?

Brandon

Hello. I’m on holiday. That’s why reply is a bit late.
In the mean time I was able to control the Maestro perfectly from MaxMsp.
After my return I’ll continue the work. We would require 4 24ch maestros to be controlled from a PC.
I will aorder hardware when I’m back and keep you posted.
MTA, East1

1 Like