Controlling a Digital Giant Servo HD-1235MG

First please understand I have zero knowledge of programming or building robots and servo controls. My experience in the past has been only with radio control airplanes. So what I am accustom to is purchasing a system that comes with a transmitter, a receiver, a receiver battery pack, and the servos. So when I plug everything in it just works!
I have purchased a Power HD Ultra-High-Torque, High-Voltage Digital Giant Servo HD-1235MG
pololu.com/product/2375/

A Traxxas TQi 2.4 high output 2ch Transmitter and 5ch Receiver
www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt … XELZX&P=ML

My receiver power supply is a Venom 5-Cell 6.0V 5000mAh NiMH Receiver Pack

I assumed that simply connecting the battery and the servo to the receiver, would be all that was required to get servo movement when the transmitter was actuated.

However I am not getting servo movement. If I substitute a standard servo, it works fine.
I have contacted the Radio mfg. and the servo mfg for help. The radio mfg only passed the buck and told me to contact the local dealer, however the radio was mail ordered and no local dealer is near me. (The mail order company suggested I contact the mfg.)

Pololu suggest I try powering the servo directly. Since I have never done this, I am seeking guidance. I am assuming the way to do this is to use a second battery from the one used to power the receiver. On the second battery, hook the brown wire from the servo to the negative battery post, the red wire to the positive battery post and the orange wire from the servo to the correct post on the receiver.

Am I on the right track?

PS technical jargon will be wasted on me!

Hello.

Your proposed connections sound fine, but you should make sure you have a common ground between the RC receiver and the servos (i.e. connect the ground on your receiver to the ground on your servo). The giant servos do draw a lot of current, so it is possible that your battery is having difficulty supplying the necessary current to the servo. If that is the case, you will need a battery that can supply more current and might consider switching to a LiPo battery.

- Grant

Thanks Grant for the input. I will give this a try.