Control servos using Orangutan Mega168 and Orangutan-lib

Hello all,

I am trying to use the Orangutan Mega168 to control my newly acquired robotic arm, and when I run the example to try and get the base to return to mid position, I don’t get any response. Just a blank screen. and no motion. I have tried PC0 and 1 as well as PD0 and 1, with no avail.

int main(void)
{

// Two servos
	unsigned char left, right;

// Some loop variables

// Initialize the servo system
	servo_init();

// Define our servos to use PC0 and PC1, respectively
	left  = servo_define(_SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRD), _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTD), 0);
	right = servo_define(_SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRD), _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTD), 1);

// Turn them both on
	servo_active(left);
	servo_active(right);

// Our endless loop
	for(;;)
	{
		servo_set(left, 1500);
		servo_set(right, 1500);
	}
}

Got it working, forgot to put the i/o pin voltage jumper in.

Another question, how many servos can the orangutan actually power? Mine seems very weak in this department, to the point where I am considering a discrete servo controller. Anyone else use servos with the orangutan before, or have an opinion?

BTW. I need to control 5 servos.

Hello.

The Orangutan has a 100 mA regulator, so that’s good for about half of a small servo that’s not doing much. If you use a 5-cell battery, you could power the servo directly off that. Otherwise, you can wire power and signals separately, so you don’t need a dedicated servo controller merely for power distribution purposes (it’s not like the servo controllers have some high-power regulators, anyway). 5 servos is certainly doable on the Orangutan, but you might want to free up time with the dedicated controller.

- Jan

OK, thanks. I’ll rewire it tomorrow. You guys have been a huge help.

OK, so i wired up the servos power seperately, to 4 AA battery’s as I don’t have a 5cell battery handy. But whenever I connect the signal to my orangutan, it just goes to the max and tries to keep going until I frantically unplug it. The code is the servo-test from orangutan-lib, so It should just go forward and back, not to its max. It also does this when I try to send it a command to go to 1500.

Can you post a clear picture or diagram of how you have everything wired together?

-Adam

Here you go:

Can you add your Orangutan and its connections to your diagram?

Specifically, is the Orangutan being powered by another separate battery or power supply, and if so, do you have a connection between their two grounds? A ground connection is necessary, and leaving it out could definitely cause the behavior you’re seeing.

-Adam

crap, yeah, that’s gotta be it. I’ll check and get back to you, thanks.

Sure enough… :blush:
Thanks, guys. :mrgreen: