Control power on and off postion

Is there a way to control / minimize the movement of the servos when powering uip and down the Maestro 6 USB micro control.
I am creating a stewart platform and the servos are tearin up the platform when I add power.

Thanks,

Is there a way to prevent the random motion of the servos when you first apply power to the servos from a Maestro 6 USB micro controller?

The documentation says you have to add power to the servo before plugging in to USB port. This means that the servos don’t have any control signal until the usb is plugged in and therefore the servos move to a “random” starting position.

Can this position be controlled or can you plug the usb before the power to the servos?

Thanks,

Hello.

We merged your posts since they are about the same problem.

It is generally good practice to power servos (and other components in a system) before applying signals to avoid the possibility of damaging them.

I am not sure what you mean by random movements; do you mean the small jitter that happens when a servo is first powered? The Maestro should not send signals to the servo unless you command it to. Typically, when a servo is powered, it will jitter slightly, but I have not seen one that does more than that without a control signal commanding it to.

If the servo movement is from the Maestro signal, the easiest way to avoid having it move to or from unknown positions is probably to have a shutdown sequence that moves the servo to a specific position, which corresponds with some start-up position.

-Brandon

No I was not referring to small servo jittering.
Random was a poor choice of words, that was the reason for the second post.

It seems that the servo have a default startup position and when power is applied they revert to that position.

The issue is that I am using the servo to make a stewart patform and the motion of the servos must be co-ordinated or the platfrom “tears” itself apart.

I have to be able to control the starting position.

Thanks,

Do your servos still go to this default position if you remove the Maestro from your system and just connect the power the servo directly (with no signal wire)? If they do, then it is internal to the servos, and there probably isn’t a way to prevent it with the Maestro. You might try powering your servos and Maestro from a single power supply and setting a startup position using the Maestro. Information about powering the Maestro and servos from a single power supply can be found in the “Powering the Maestro” section of the user’s guide. You can configure a startup position for each channel by changing the “On startup or error:” setting under the Channel Settings tab of the Maestro Control Center to “Go to” and entering the desired target position.

-Brandon

Thanks I’ll give the it a try.

1 Like