Connecting Orangutan SVP-1284 to gearmotor with encoder

Hello,

I have an Orangutan SVP-1284 & one 37Dmm gear motor with 64 CPR encoder, I would like to confirm which pins on the SVP-1284 do I use to connect the blue, yellow & white leads from the encoder?

Thanks & regards,
Terry

Hello, Terry.

The pinout of our 37D mm gearmotors is documented on the product pages, for example at:

pololu.com/catalog/product/1442

The blue wire is the encoder VCC, so you will need to connect it to some 3.5-20 V power source. The most convenient thing to do is to connect it to the Orangutan SVP’s VCC (5.0 V) line, which is available in many places on the SVP.

The yellow and white wires are the encoder output signals. You should connect one of them to the “A” line of the auxiliary processor and connect another to the “B” line of the auxiliary processor.

For help finding those pins, you can look on the bottom of the SVP or use the Orangutan SVP Reference Diagram, available in the resources tab for the Orangutan SVP:

pololu.com/catalog/product/1327/resources

I recommend making these connections while everything is powered off. If there is any doubt in your mind, feel free to send us a photo of your connections before you apply power.

–David

Thanks David,

I have attached a photo of the connections, I haven’t used any female sockets, just put the wires in for the purpose of the photo, hope I have followed your instructions correctly.

I have run the 1284 with the demo, it works fine, the motor ran & reversed as how it should in the demo mode (I just had the + & - wire connected, not the encoder wires).

Thanks & regards,
Terry

Your connections might be right. The photo is dark and low-resolution so it is hard to see exactly where you plugged in your wires, but I can at least tell that they are each going to the right area of the SVP.

–David

Hi David,

Sorry that was as clear as I could get the image so I have made a sketch of the connections.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks & regards,
Terry
SVP-Encoder connections.pdf (908 KB)

Your connection drawing looks good.

–David