Connecting Motor or Gear shafts to the outside world

Hi.
It’s possible someone can give a one word answer to this question - or a link… I hope i’m just missing a vital Noun…

I want to rotate a turntable and rotate a lifting arm.
I can see the motors, the gears, the timing belts and the hubs - but I expected to find some sort of ‘flange’ (almost certainly the wrong name) - to connect the movement of the shaft to the object being driven…

Are people making their own connections between the tiny hubs and their projects?

Many thanks,

Mike Gibbens

Hello, Mike.

How you connect your motor to the rest of your system will depend heavily on your application, but in general mounting hubs offer multiple mounting points for various applications. ServoCity also carries some hubs and couplers that might be helpful.

If that is not what you are looking for, can you be more specific about what you are trying to connect your motor to?

By the way, I moved your post to the “Mechanical design and actuators” section of the forum since it seemed more appropriate.

Brandon

Thank you @BrandonM

Sorry - I should have made a better effort to explain my problem.

My homebrew constructions are largely made out of wood, because its practical for me to work.
In order to attach a driven shaft to a wooden component, it is better to have a coupler with more, large, widely spaced fixing points.

In my mind, I know exactly what shaped part I would use

I just don’t know what it would be called…

I think this is what Brandon calls a “mounting hub.” I’d also call it an “axle hub.”

When you use a timing belt driver or a gear, it’s called a “pinion.”

When you drive an asymmetrically shaped widget, it’s called a “shaft mounted cam.”

When you stick it on a servo, it’s often called the “horn.”