Confused

Im new to robots. Im planing on building a biped robot.Now my queastion. Im confused on how to control it. I now about the servos but i need to know how to control them.I want a to buy a Pololu serial 16-servo controller and a Pololu’s micro motor controller.Would that work and what else would i need.and will it hook up to a computer easy

Hello,

The servo controller can connect directly to a computer’s serial port and to the servos you want to control. You’ll still need to figure out what you want to do for your power supply and programming interface. If you use many servos, you’ll consume quite a bit of current, but your probably don’t want your robot to be too heavy, either. If your robot is tethered to a computer for serial control anyway, you might use an external power supply.

Connecting both the servo controller and motor controller is simple: you just need to connect the two serial lines of the two devices together.

Programming will probably take up most of your time, so you should program your robot in the language with which you are most comfortable. The only thing you have to do to control the servo controller is send data out over the serial port; the servo controller sends nothing back, and you don’t have to worry about any handshaking.

- Jan