pololu.com/catalog/product/1206
pololu.com/catalog/product/1209
pololu.com/catalog/product/1200

I need to connect an encoder such as
delta.com.tw/product/em/moti … d=2&itid=1
or
encodersindia.com/rotary-encoders.html
to the motor shaft.

Before i purchase the encoder, i would like to know, how to attach it.

Thanks
Sam

Hello.

One of the main reasons to use a stepper motor is that you can perform accurate positioning in open-loop systems (i.e. without feedback from an encoder). Are you sure you need an encoder in your application?

If you really want to use an encoder, you will need to come up with a way to mechanically couple the encoder to the stepper motor output shaft. You might consider using our 5mm universal mounting hubs, which can make it easier to mount custom mechanisms to 5mm motor shafts like those on most of our stepper motors.

- Ben

Hi
I am trying to do the following

Since i am trying to calibrate an imu, i don’t want to just assume the stepper motor has done a perfect job, in open-loop and would like to independently record the angles using an encoder.

I have bought the 5mm universal hub too. I am not very clear how to fasten it to the motor shaft and how it could be useful for attaching a disk which rotates, and an encoder.
I see that the universal hub has a small screw hole in the radial direction. I also have a small Allan wrench thingy and some miniscule screws. Do i just tighten the miniscule screw in the radial hole? Will it hold for reasonably large torques?

How does the universal hub, help me attach a disk or an encoder to the motor shaft?

Thanks
Sam

You can see a picture of the hub attached to a stepper motor on the hub’s product page. Yes, you just tighten the set screw with the small Allen wrench that was included with the hub so that it presses against the output shaft. The hub holds the shaft pretty tightly and I’m not aware of any feedback where people were complaining about it slipping, but we do not have a torque rating for the hub. If you are using the hub in a high-torque application, one of the first things to give would probably be the set screw, so you might consider using some threadlock on it to ensure it stays in place.

The hub has four mounting holes on it to which you can mount custom mechanisms. You will need to figure out the best way to use those mounting holes for your particular application.

- Ben

Thanks, Ben

I have a doubt in the mechanical drawing for the stepper motors
pololu.com/catalog/product/1209
Why does it appear like the shaft extends on 2 sides? (The dotted lines in the sketch)
Could i attach another shaft on that side?

Regds
Sam

The manufacturer makes two versions of this stepper motor, one with a single shaft and one with a dual shaft. The dimension diagram covers both cases by drawing one of the two shafts with a dotted line. We only carry the single-shaft version.

- Ben

I want to convert the single shaft stepper motor into a double shaft stepper motor.
I should have bought a double shaft stepper in the first place.
Can i remove the shaft and inset a longer shaft, that protrudes on both sides, or exchange for a double shafted stepper?

Thanks
Sam

I’m sorry you purchased the wrong stepper motor for your application, but as I said in my previous post, we only carry the single-shaft version (an exchange for something we don’t have is not possible). If you have to ask if you can add a second or longer shaft, the answer is probably no. Maybe you could hack something together if you have the right tools and mechanical skills, but the stepper motor is not intended for such a modification and it’s not something we could help you do. If you really need the double-shaft version, I think your best bet is to buy it from a supplier who carries it.

- Ben

I would like to add, that if you don’t stock the dual shaft steppers, i could send them to your factory via fedex and get the replacement double shaft steppers.
I will compensate you for the extra work.
I ask, because i have bought 5 steppers, and my total order value is more than 400$.

I intend to order many items regularly. So if you could please do me this favor, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Sam