Charging iPhone via USB 2.0 Type-C Connector Breakout Board

I aim to charge an iPhone via the USB 2.0 Type-C Connector Breakout Board (usb07b).

I have +5V applied and can charge a separate battery bank. I can see it is delivering power to the battery bank because I have a little USB Power Meter inline.

But when I connect the iPhone, charging does not occur.

The webpage for this breakout says, “ If you want the port to serve as a Source instead, or if you want to perform more advanced configuration like USB Power Delivery negotiation, you can disconnect or remove the on-board resistors and make your own connections to the CC pins exposed by the board.” So I most definitely removed the two resistors. But I have not made any connections to the CC pins. I downloaded the linked USB-C specification, but it’s long and complicated.

Can anyone please let me know how to get this board configured so that the iPhone will accept power from the USB-C connection?

Thanks

I think I just need to tie the CC pins to the +5v through 5.1k ohm resisters. I’ll try later.

Hi,

I think you’re on the right track, though the pull-up resistors should be between 56k and 10k, depending on the current that can be supplied by your power source. This article looks like a good summary of the standard values, and the relevant stuff in the USB-C spec can be found starting with section 2.3.4,
USB Type-C VBUS Current Detection and Usage (as of the current version, R2.3).

Note that this will only get you basic charging at 5V and up to 3A. If you want fast charging, the charger needs to support USB Power Delivery (USB-PD), which involves communicating with the device over the CC lines to negotiate power.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin.

Since I can deliver around 1.2A, I selected the 1.5A mode and so used 22k ohm resistors. That worked!

Tom