Casting MinIMU-9 v3 -sensor into resin

Hello All

I’m going to install MinIMU-9 v3 -sensor (Pololu item #: 2468) into my boat and I was wondering different methods to protect it against moisture.

Has anyone ever cast the sensor into the resin of any kind… It shoudn’t be issue for the accelerometer or gyro unit but I was wondering the compass sensor…
Could it be an issue for the sensoring magnetic flux of the planet ? One way to do it of course is to spray protection varnish on the sensor after it’s in the enclosure but I have some non-conductive resin left from some other projects and I was wondering if I could use it in this project aswell…

Kind Regards
Tommi

I think that the magnetic field would not be blocked by a resin (it may be slightly diamagnetic but it is barely noticeable on such weak fields like the earth magnetic field). Of course it is better to not do it on the AltIMU-10 :smiley: for obvious reasons

Hello, Tommi.

We have not tried using any protective coatings on that board, but I do not see a reason why that would not work. If you decide to try it, we would be interested in hearing how it turns out.

- Grant

Hello Grant

Thanks. I’ll let you know how it goes, if I’ll decide to try it… First I’ve to get’em out from Finnish customs :smiley:

- Tommi