Would appreciate some word of advice since I feel kinda stuck.
I have been working on a crude prototype on a breadboard with avr 1284p.
I have been using pololu’s avr to burn the flash and all is working great.
Now i want to make another copy of my prototype, this time on a tightly packed single smaller breadboard,
so i am basically trying to replicate the same configuration as i had before.
Unfortunately - i cannot burn the second avr1284p with pololu.
when i run
avrdude -p atmega1284p -P /dev/ttyACM0 -c avrispv2 -b 57600 -U flash:w:main.hex
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
Here are a few more observations:
- I can burn the flash perfectly for both systems with atmel’s proprietary burner (and avr studio),
but it connects to different pins and uses a different protocol altogether. I would have used it, but i want to use linux as
my development environment and this programmer has no support under linux (jtagice3).
- the working system runs with a 20mhz external crystal, the system being debugged runs with 16mhz external crystal . Tried to switch - didn’t help.
- the voltage on vdd pin of the pololu programmer is 5v just as it is for the av1284p.
- the system is powered through a 5v voltage regulator from a bench top power supply
- I have a cable which is IDC 6 pin on one side (goes into pololu) and 6 male header pins on the other.
I am sticking these 6 pins in a row in 6 pins of the avr1284p. I use the same cable for both systems.
One works and one doesn’t , so its probably not the cable.
If there is any additional information that might be useful - i will gladly provide.