Board Selections -- 3d Printer Extruder Using Brushed DC 775

Hi,

TL;DR - I need a driver to take DIR/STEP (Maybe UART) data from a Big Tree Tech Manta M8P running Klipper to drive a 775 DC motor with an encoder. Suggestions?

I’m working on a ceramic 3d printer extruding a ceramic paste. The plan is to have 5+ different color materials in their extruder. The ceramic paste requires a decent amount of force to move the clay down a tube to an auger head. Instead of a stepper motor, I want to use a geared 775 motor with an encoder to drive the extruder. So I’m hoping to find a board with PID controls for the motor, but if not, I can try to use the RPi to calculate the PID.

After looking around, I’m unsure what my best option might be. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

I do not have any specific suggestions for a brushed DC motor controller that accepts STEP/DIR signals to drive a brushed DC motor as a stepper motor. You could probably come up with your own solution (e.g. using a separate microcontroller to process the STEP/DIR and encoder signals and drive the motor appropriately), but I suspect something like that might have trouble keeping up with the typical speed of those kinds of systems. If you haven’t considered it yet, it would probably be a lot simpler to use a stronger stepper motor or a stepper motor with a gear reduction.

Brandon

Hi,

I think I found a solution. It’s open-source, so you might consider making it.

There seem to be several others on the market, but this is the most affordable. Others, such as ODrive do the same but I thought Pololu might have something.

Thanks!