Bluetooth Control of 3pi

Hi,

I am doing a final year project concerning communication devices with the tongue for very high level spinal chord patients.The goal I am trying to achieve is to control the 3pi using the tongue. Switching between line control and manual control via the tongue, to in effect mimic a smart wheelchair. I have already used the tongue to control a simple RC car, I am now looking to implement a higher level of control.

I am using a Wiimote which is connected to a PC over Bluetooth to collect data in relation to the tongue tip.

The question I am asking is, is it possible for a single bluetooth dongle using the bluesoleil software drivers, to communicate with both the Wiimote and the 3pi using a BlueSmirf, simultaneously? I have recently purchased both the bluesmirf and the 3pi thinking I will be able to control the 3pi over bluetooth only to stupidly forget that I am already using a bluetooth connection for the Wii?

Any help on what path to take would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Rohan

Hello, Rohan.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that Bluetooth dongle or its drivers, so I do not know if it can work with multiple devices simultaneously. Perhaps you can try contacting the manufacturer.

- Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. I’m guessing if it doesn’t work, my best option would be to use two wixels for the communication transfer? Also is it possible for the 3pi to operate while tethered, therefore removing the need for wireless comms but bringing in the need for a long cable ha?

Cheers,

Rohan

There are a lot of options, so I am not sure what your best one would be. Wixels would certainly be something to consider.

Of course it is possible to operate the 3pi tethered, if you have a good enough tether. (That might be a big “if” though.)

- Ryan