Bipolar stepper motor with tinyduino motorx4 shield

Hi all,

I am trying to control a pololu bipolar stepper motor (tiny-circuits.com/tiny-shield-motor-x-4.html). I have wired the blue and red wires to the motor 1 terminals and the green and black wires to the motor 2 terminals. I have tried various code from the web, tweaking it to work with my setup but can’t get any of it to work. Does anyone have stepper motor code for use with tinyduino motor shield they would share?

Thanks

Phil

Hello, Phil.

I don’t know of any code for the TinyShield Motor x4 motor driver to run a stepper motor. There is some code in a forum post that runs a stepper motor from a different dual H-bridge motor driver that you might be able to look through for ideas.

Alternatively, I think there is a good chance you might find it easier to use one of our stepper motor drivers to control your motor. The link you provided is for a one of our discontinued stepper drivers, not a stepper motor. If you let us know which motor you have and the power supply you are using, I can probably recommend a stepper motor driver for it.

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I am using the following stepper.
pololu.com/product/1205

Please could you recommend an appropriate driver. Can the driver you would recommend work with the tinyduino (essentially the same as an arduino)?

Thanks

Hello, Phil.

Any of our stepper drivers can drive that stepper motor and can be controlled with an Arduino. What voltage are you planning to use to power the stepper?

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I will probably use a 9v battery for the stepper

Phil

Hello, Phil.

If you want to use a 9V supply, you could use our DRV8834 stepper motor driver carrier. However, please note that standard 9V batteries have low capacity and cannot provide much current, so we generally do not recommend them for motor applications. I don’t think they would work well for that stepper motor.

The DRV8824 would be a good choice if you decide to use a different power supply above 8.2V.

-Nathan