Best backup for application running on Mini Maestro 18

Hi :slight_smile:
I have a setup of single sequence running on Mini Maestro 18 and feeding 9 Servos .
What is the best way to ensure, as much a possible, the reliably and availability.
I have a PC connected to the Controller and I have additional offline Mini Maestro 18.
All the Servos have a high current supply.

TNX
Mike

Hello, Mike.

Other than making sure you have good electrical connections and handling your components with ESD precautions in mind, I do not have any specific suggestions for ensuring the reliability of your Maestro and servos. However, I would suggest saving a back-up of your Maestro’s settings file somewhere on your computer. You can save a copy of your settings file from the “File” drop-down menu of the Maestro Control Center while the Maestro is connected. Then, if anything happens to your first Maestro, you can load that settings file onto your second Maestro and it will behave the same way.

- Patrick

Thank you Patrick :slight_smile: Is there a simple way to back up a sequence/s on an external device like
USB drive? Just in case my laptop and the Maestro died due to a lightning strike ??
Thank you for your patience :slight_smile:

Mike

You can just copy the settings file (the one I mentioned saving in my last post) to a USB drive if you wish. The settings file is simply a text file that saves the Maestro’s sequences and script (if you have one) in addition to the Maestro’s other settings.

- Patrick

Hello :slight_smile:
Is it possible to save a script/scripts on external USB drive as a backup?
is it possible to upload it back to the Mini Maestro?

TNX
Michael

Hello, Michael.

I combined your new thread with your previous one since you asked this same question there already.

As Patrick described, you can save the settings file from your Maestro, which is a text file that includes your script along with all of your configuration settings, and upload that back onto the Maestro at a later date.

Alternatively, if you only want to save your script for some reason (and not the rest of your configuration settings), you could create a .txt file and copy/paste your script from the Script tab to save it.

Brandon

Thank you Brandon for your pation. I do apologise for bothering you but I really have problems with saving some files for backups.
I use a new and quality USB device.

Some are saved OK, but some simply disappear. Other files are saved, but when I upload them, they do not show the original values of the frames !

But my biggest problem right now is that I have to merge 3 sequences into 1 script and make it all play in a loop.

Thank you you in advance and have a great weekend
Michael

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 1 ביולי 2021 ב-21:42 מאת ‪BrandonM via Pololu Forum‬‏ <‪inbox@pololu.com‬‏>:‬

Hello.

A back-up settings file should always retain the state that the settings were in when it was stored. If you upload a settings file and the values are not showing what they were when you saved the file, I suspect there were changes that were not applied yet when you tried to save the settings. I recommend always making sure the settings are applied (using the “Apply Settings” button) before saving your settings file.

Merging 3 sequences into one script that all play at the same time is not going to be very trivial, as there is no built-in support for merging sequences. Since the scripts are all generated with non-blocking delay functions, it will likely be difficult to manually merge them in a script unless you are very familiar with the Maestro scripting language and even then it might be tedious and somewhat error-prone, depending on your particular sequences.

Unfortunately, if you are not very comfortable with the Maestro scripting language, the easiest way to “merge” 3 sequences into one is probably to create a new sequence and go through creating each frame one at a time. A more advanced way would be to “merge” your sequences into one using a speadsheet program. For example, you can select all of your frames from each sequence one at a time by Shift+Clicking, copy them with Ctrl+C, then paste them to your spreadsheet program with Ctrl+V. You will see that each frame is a row, starting with the frame’s name and duration as the first two columns, followed by the servo positions for each channel. You can “merge” your 3 tables into one, following the same format, then copy the table with Ctrl+C and paste it into a new sequence in the Sequence tab with Ctrl+V. I definitely recommend making a back-up of your settings file before doing this, just in case you need to restore to a previous state.

Brandon

Hello.
A lazy man’s solution to a multi tasks on 1 Mini Maestro :slight_smile:
After giving it more toughs, I was able to split the load from one Mini Maestro into 3 separate independent tasks,each running on its dedicated Mini Maestro (This costs some money but saves time.
More then that :in this configuration every unit has the other 3 task stored as sequence and can be turned on if needed.
Mike

1 Like