Basic question on servo control

Hello,

Am looking at purchasing a servo controller to interface to a RC style servo motor (not a stepper). I have downloaded your GIT-HUB SDK(GitHub - pololu/pololu-usb-sdk: Example code for making your own PC applications that control Pololu USB Devices.) and have examined the simple vb.net examples. However I see that in those examples you are able to set a forward or reverse “speed”. For use with a servo, I would be looking to set an angle, not a speed. Can you clarify what SW I would need with which controller to set an angle(single channel only).

Thanks!

Hello.

This sounds like it would probably be a good application for one of our Maestro USB Servo Controllers. As long as you use standard type hobby servos (as opposed to a continuous rotation servo), you should be able to control position. Since you only need one channel, the Micro Maestro should be sufficient.

There are several ways you could configure and control a Maestro, including over USB using our free configuration and control application for Windows. You can find more information about the various control methods in the Maestro users guide (available on each Maestro’s product page under the “Resources” tab). It sounds like you are interested in writing your own PC software to control the Maestro. If you are already looking at our SDK, then you are probably already well on your way, but in case it helps you can find an overview of the resources available in the “Wrting PC Software to Control the Maestro” section of the user’s guide.

- Patrick

Patrick,

We will be using a 1350 unit for our next project. I did manage to find a vb.net example for setting the PWM values in a project named:

GUI for the Pololu Simple Motor Controller G2

The code uses: TrySetTarget with an argument passed in microseconds representing (presumably) the PWM value.

Let me know if those are incorrect assumptions and usages.

Thanks for the response.

Bart

It sounds like you are talking about an example in our SDK for a different type of product, our G2 High-Power Simple Motor Controllers. If you are using a Maestro, then you should focus on the files in the Maestro folder of our SDK.

- Patrick

Understood…thanks!