Balboa an Raspberry pi

as far as i understand the balboa with raspberry pi the pi makes the steering of the balancing and the 32u4 did not do something. I want to steer the balboa with a raspberry pi zero. But i thing it is better to make a connection between 32u4 and raspberry pi through serial and give the steering of balancing the 32u4 an the “brain” the raspberry. But how to do this? I thing by cutting the level shifter and soldering it to the serial. So I can steer the 32u4 through the serial node and the raspberry has not so much to do.

Please can you tell me where the connection are?

Thank you very much

Marc

Hello.

When we set up the Balboa 32U4 robot with a Raspberry Pi, we used the 32U4 control board as an I2C slave device and the Raspberry Pi as the master I2C device. The Raspberry Pi reads the IMU sensors on the bus, runs a balancing algorithm to determine appropriate motor speeds, and then sends the 32U4 control board (over I2C) those motor speeds.

In general, it should be possible to read the IMU sensors and handle the balancing algorithm on the 32U4 microcontroller and receive higher level commands from the Raspberry Pi over a serial interface. We do not have any specific provisions on the Balboa 32U4 control board for making the serial connections; you would need to make connections and perform any level shifting using the expansion headers we expose, which you can find more information about in the “Expansion Headers” section of the user’s guide.

-Nathan