Baby Orangutan URGENT Question

Hello,

I have a problem with 2 Baby Orangutans (328P).
Both of them are mounted in different circuits, initially they worked but now they don’t run the programs anymore.

Let me give a few examples:

• The circuit worked until suddenly it stopped.
  • After that it started the program randomly, once it worked, twice not…etc
  • Now it works only if i change the power supply (form a battery to a PSU for example) for a few seconds and after it stops. Also it works if i let it without power for a minute or so.
  • I unplugged the orangutan from my circuit and put it to a new one with only VIN (8V) and GND. It cannot be programmed (gives error on Entering Programming mode) it cannot do anything.

This is the same for 2 of them…in different circuits they are doing the same thing.

Please tell me what is happening with them.

Thank you in advanced!

Another thing i noticed.

When i connect the programmer and i turn on the PSU the LEDs on the programmer stop. Both the red and the green one.

What programmer are you using? We offer two:
pololu.com/catalog/product/1300
pololu.com/catalog/product/740

What do you mean when you say the LEDs “stop”? Do they stop emitting light?

–David

This one: pololu.com/catalog/product/1300

Yes, they stop emitting light.
Sorry, no sleep last night because of this problem and way to much coffee.

Now i think i found at least a part of the problem. I tried to clean it with a a clean brush.
And it start working. But i cannot see any thing on it. Is it possible for something to enter under the SMD components? Just guessing.

Hello.

It sounds like you might be shorting something together and drawing a lot of current, turning off the programmer. Can you post a picture of your setup and any schematics or wiring descriptions you have.

- Ryan

Cleaned them both and now they work.

As for the circuit…only VIN (8 V ) and gnd with a bench power supply.
I measured the current draw and it was about 30 mA

I’m glad you got it working; I’m surprised that cleaning it fixed it though. How did it get dirty? What kind of place are you using this in?

- Ryan