AVR USB Progammer - help!

I got the USB AVR programmer. Installed on Windows 7 with AVR Studio. I have not had success in connecting to the AVR.

I am using an ATMega328 (28 pin DIP) chip. Questions:

1. Do I need to supply an external 5V power to the chip, or is it powered from the USB progammer? I am assuming the latter.

2. Wiring the 6-pin connector. The diagram in the setup guide only shows the pin 1 marked on the progammer board itself for the make socket. Where is pin 1 on the female adapter cable? I am assuming if I am looking at the connector at the end of the cable ( the tab facing to the right), then pin 1 is in the top-left corner?

3. Assuming I am correct thus far, the programming guide states, “The
    USB AVR programmer uses AVR ISP version 2, which is written as AVRISPv2.” However, from my connection dialog in AVR Studio, there is no option to select “AVRISPv2” from the list. The closest choice I have is simply, “AVRISP”. I am running version 4.1.8, build 700 of AVR Studio.

When I attempt to connect and do a “read signature”, AVR studio comes back with an error.

Thanks,

Hello.

Have you actually read the user’s guide for the programmer? Two of these questions are answered in the guide, and in the case of your third question, the answer is in the sentence that directly precedes the one you quoted.

1. From the pin-out section (1.a) of the user’s guide, regarding VDD:

You had to have read this section in order to know how to connect the programmer to your AVR, right? The above line is underlined in the user’s guide, so it should be somewhat hard to miss.

1. Pin 1 on the cable is the red wire, and the sockets corresponding with this wire are marked on the sides of the cable’s two female IDC connectors with a triangle. You can always figure out something like this for yourself using a multimeter to do a continuity test on the cable (it’s obvious which cable pin is connecting to pin 1 on the board, so you’d just need to do a continuity test between that pin and likely candidates on the other side of the cable).

2. From the user’s guide:

I can see how the last sentence might throw you off, but the AVRISP option of AVR Studio works with AVRISPv2. For people using other programming software, the details of the programming protocol can be important, which is why this extra detail is provided.

- Ben

Yes, I read the guide, but apparently missed some of the details. Thanks for pointing them out to me.

On a follow-up note, you may not want to be so condescending to your customers…

I could have replied with “RTFM”, and even that wouldn’t be condescending, it would be appropriate in spirit (though harsh in execution). Instead of getting offended, you should try to understand why that kind of response was warranted. You could have answered each question you asked with almost no effort on your part; your decision to have others do that work for you just makes you seem lazy.

As far as my post’s being condescending, what exactly do you think was out of line? If the answers are prominently displayed in the user’s guide, isn’t it reasonable to ask if you’ve read it, to point out where the answers are, and to ask how you missed what are intended to be highly visible portions of text in a section with information crucial for connecing the programmer to an AVR? If you have a good reason for missing this information, we’d like to hear it so that the guide can be improved.

I think your main annoyance is that I called you on what seemed like laziness rather than babying you, and I definitely don’t feel like I should be babying customers. If it wasn’t laziness, as I said above, we’d certainly like to hear how the user’s guide can be rewritten to make the answers to such important questions more obvious.

- Ben