AVR Studio 5 Issues

Hi all,

I just built my new computer and re-installed all of the old software. However when I went to install AVR Studio I downloaded the new version instead of the old.

Now when I try and build some code that previously worked I am getting an error that it can not find the pololu/orangutan.h file.

Here is the screenshot:

dl.dropbox.com/u/2375037/AVR_Stu … enshot.png

I tried re-installing “libpololu-avr-101104.exe” but that did not seem to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using an Orangutan SVP 1284. I previously compiled the code using AVR Studio 4, on a Windows 7 (32 Bit) machine. I am now trying to use AVR Studio 5 on a Windows 7 (64 Bit) machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

All of the material on our site is intended to be used with AVR Studio 4, so for now, we recommend that you continue to use that version with our products. You can find a link to the AVR Studio 4 download in the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library User’s Guide (or you can download the Pololu AVR Development Bundle from that page, which includes WinAVR, AVR Studio 4, and the library).

We would like to support AVR Studio 5 in the future, but it was released quite recently and is very different from 4, so we have not been able to update our documentation and software to work with it yet. You are welcome to try to get it working, but be aware that you’ll probably continue to run into issues like this. I suspect that the problem in this case is that AVR Studio 5 has its own built-in toolchain instead of being dependent on a WinAVR installation, so you would need to manually install the library following the instructions on this page. Instead of installing it into the WinAVR folder (e.g. C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr), you should install it into AVR Studio 5’s toolchain folder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.0\AVR Toolchain); I have not tried this yet, though, so I am not completely sure that it would work.

- Kevin

Hello. Please also note that at this time AVR Studio 5 does not support programming the Orangutan SVP. You could compile a HEX file for the Orangutan using AVR Studio 5, but to actually load the file on to the Orangutan you would need to use AVRDUDE or AVR Studio 4.

–David