AVR Programmer ESP8266-12E MicroPython using Thonny

Hi, I just try to upload Micropython on my ESP8266-12E and Pololu AVR Programmer 2.1. At Thonny you can choose the USB Port and Firmware to upload. I’m using Ubuntu 19.04. The parv-gui shows the Programmer as connected and I can choose /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyAMC1 as described in the Pololu Users Guide but I only got Errors.
I had no Problems using Thonny with a NodeMCU Kit or Wemos D1 (both had onboard Programmer) and in the past I used the Pololu AVR Programmer with Arduino IDE and a Arduino Nano Clone.

Does anyone has some Ideas how to get MicroPython on a ESP8266-12E??

Many Thanks

EDIT: Connections: RX=TX, TX=RX, VCC=VCC+EN, GND=GND+GPIO15+GPIO0

Hello.

We are not entirely familiar with the ESP8266 ESP-12E, but it seems like you would need to use DTR (output) and RTS (output) on the AVR programmer to control GPIO0 and EN, respectively, to automatically enter the bootloader before copying MicroPython onto the board according to this documentation on GitHub.

I did a quick Internet search and found several tutorials on programming an ESP8266 board with MicroPython. You might consider looking at some of those tutorials to get some idea of how to load MicroPython onto your board (if you haven’t already done so). If you have not done so already, you might also consider posting about your issue on the MicroPython forum, as it has a much larger community that focuses specifically on MicroPython.

- Amanda

GREAT! That works fine! Thanks a lot. Greetings from Germany!

1 Like