ATTINY44A and USB programmer problem

Hi,

I read in another thread that someone got their USB programmer to write to an ATTINY44A.

I can’t get this to work from Atmel Studio 6.1, and the release notes seem to back this up. They say the ATTINY44A needs an AVRISP mkII or STK600 to program this chip.

In Atmel Studio I can only choose simulator or the COM port the Pololu programmer presents itself as. If I choose the COM port I can only choose STK500 as the type and I cannot choose an ATTINY44A - it doesn’t appear in the list of devices.

Choosing some other ATTINY allows me to read the device voltage and if I try to read the device ID it seems to read it and correctly says it is the ID of a 44A, so cannot enter programming mode.

If the Pololu USB programmer only presents itself as STK500, according to the release notes this shouldn’t work so I’m not calling it a bug. But has anyone found a way around it? How did the person in the other thread get it going?

Regards,
David.

Hello, David.

You can follow the steps found in the “Adding Devices to Atmel Studio 6” section of the Pololu USB AVR Programmer User’s Guide to add devices that are not supported by default in Atmel Studio 6.

- Jeremy

Well, that was easy. Thanks!

I want to say Pololu have excellent products and support. I have a baby orangutang, a couple of wixels, and the usb avr programmer, and it all works, easily and well, and when I needed advice I got it straight away.

Regards,
David.

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you were able to get it working.

- Jeremy