Pololu Robotics & Electronics
Menu
My account Comments or questions? About Pololu Contact Ordering information Distributors

Pololu Forum

ATmega328PB 8Mhz with internal RC osci

Hello,

first of all thanks for your great dev support around ATmega328pb.

Is it possible to run the A-star (or any other board with the same MCU) at 8MHz using its internal oscillator via Arduino-IDE? I am asking since the document says that the accuracy improved compared to the Atmega328p https://www.pololu.com/file/0J1464/Atmel-42559-Differences-between-ATmega328P-and-ATmega328PB_ApplicationNote_AT15007.pdf

Which bootloader/fuse settings would need to be taken?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Robert

Hello, Robert.

Yes it is possible to configure the A-Star 328PB Micro modules to run at 8 MHz using the ATmega328PB’s internal RC oscillator. You would need to set the CKSEL fuse to use the internal oscillator as a clock source and set the CKDIV8 fuse to 1 (unprogrammed). You can find more details about these fuses in the ATmega328PB datasheet.

Configuring the fuse bits and bootloader through the Arduino IDE is not straightforward. I suggest using AVRDUDE to do that instead of the Arduino IDE.

We do have an 8 MHz version of the A-Star 328PB Micro module. Is there a particular reason why you want to mess with the AVR fuses instead of using the A-Star 328PB Micro - 3.3V, 8MHz board?

- Amanda