Still working at this. I tried changing build.core to simply arduino rather than arduino:arduino and now it doesn’t complain about needing arduino:arduino cores but it still fails on build.
Either changing build.core is causing the failure or it has exposed the underlying cause. I got the following error message which I did see before when it was complaining about arduino:arduino cores but didn’t think much of it.
I wonder if the code in this repo changed and this is why it all of the sudden caused a problem on my Mac even though, as mentioned, I didn’t change anything.
panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x10 pc=0x1190c3c]
goroutine 1 [running]:
github.com/arduino/arduino-builder.(*SetupBuildProperties).Run(0x1860e50, 0xc420051000, 0x1860e50, 0x0)
github.com/arduino/arduino-builder.(*ContainerSetupHardwareToolsLibsSketchAndProps).Run(0x1860e50, 0xc420051000, 0x1860e50, 0x0)
github.com/arduino/arduino-builder.runCommands(0xc420051000, 0xc420061da0, 0x3, 0x3, 0xc420061d01, 0x10c0e95, 0xc42001f790)
github.com/arduino/arduino-builder.(*ParseHardwareAndDumpBuildProperties).Run(0xc420061e00, 0xc420051000, 0x66, 0x7ffeefbffcbb)
github.com/arduino/arduino-builder.RunParseHardwareAndDumpBuildProperties(0xc420051000, 0x66, 0x7ffeefbffcbb)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 2
So it appears to be a segfault from trying to access an invalid memory location… but again, this might just be self induced by changing build.core from
This is not really in my wheelhouse but I’ll keep trying until someone more intimate with this can help out.
(due to restrictions I can’t post more than 3 replies in a row so I’m editing my last post to post the solution)
Okay, I figured out my problem. I’m not sure why this was complaining since I hadn’t changed anything but it appears the folder structure is not what the IDE is looking for. I downloaded the zip (same as cloning the repo) and placed it in the hardware folder as is.
To get this to work I had to create the structure of hardware–>libpololu–>avr and place the contents here… but that’s not all. This doesn’t allow the IDE to find the boards file so I had to move the contents of the arduino folder (currently hardware–>libpololu–>avr–>arduino) where the boards.txt file was and place the files directly in the hardware–>libpololu–>avr folder.
I figured this out by looking at the structure of another set of boards that require manual installation whose structure was slightly different than that of pololus.
P.S. I did change the build.core back to arduino:arduino so don’t mess with that, the only thing I needed to do was restructure the directories.