Pololu Robotics & Electronics
Menu
My account Comments or questions? About Pololu Contact Ordering information Distributors

Pololu Forum

Arduino Compile (Selected board depends on 'arduino' core)

I have a Zumo 32U4. I would like to compile some code to it. I followed the online instructions for 'Blinky" located here:
pololu.com/docs/0J63/5.2

When I get to step 7 and try to verify or compile, I get the error:

[quote]
Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), TD: 1.25, Board: “Pololu A-Star 32U4”

Selected board depends on ‘arduino’ core (not installed).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.[/quote]

The ‘Pololu A-Star 32U4’ is selected along with the correct COM port.

Any ideas?

Hello.

From the error message you are getting, I suspect that the A-Star drivers are not installed correctly. What is the full file path of your “Hardware” folder containing the “pololu” folder from the downloaded “add-on” folder? Can you enable verbose output in the Arduino IDE and post a screenshot of it here? You can turn on verbose output by selecting File->Preferences in the IDE, and then checking the “compilation” and “upload” boxes next to "Show verbose output during: ".

We have heard of others having trouble with using Arduino 1.6.5, but we are not sure if that is causing the problem. Can you try using a different version of the Arduino IDE (e.g. 1.6.4 or 1.6.6) to see if the issue goes away?

- Amanda

Hi @AmandaS,

I’m using a new notebook with Manjaro Linux and I got the same message that @highwayman got. I enabled verbose output and the message is:

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Linux), Board: “Pololu A-Star 32U4”

Error compiling for board Pololu A-Star 32U4.

The current selected board needs the core ‘arduino:arduino’ that is not installed.
/usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /usr/share/arduino/hardware -hardware /home/ce_roland/.arduino15/packages -tools /usr/share/arduino/tools-builder -tools /home/ce_roland/.arduino15/packages -libraries /home/ce_roland/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=pololu-a-star:avr:a-star32U4 -vid-pid=0X1FFB_0X2300 -ide-version=10803 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_978425 -warnings=default -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_751370 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /home/ce_roland/Arduino/libraries/zumo-32u4-arduino-library-master/examples/Demo/Demo.ino

Selected board depends on ‘arduino’ core (not installed).

The current selected board needs the core ‘arduino:ardino’ that is not installed.
The current selected board needs the core ‘arduino:ardino’ that is not installed.

Can you help me to solve this?

Hello.

Thank you for providing detailed information. How did you install the Arduino IDE? I tried replicating your issue by downloading Arduino 1.8.3 from the official Arduino website for Linux, but I was able to compile the Zumo32U4’s Demo sketch without any errors.

Also, I noticed there are typos in the last two lines of your Arduino IDE’s output. Is that your typo, or is that actually from your Arduino IDE?

- Amanda

Hello, I’m also experiencing the same issue.

When I load the Arduino IDE with Board: Pololu A-Star 32U4 selected, I see:

The current selected board needs the core 'arduino:arduino' that is not installed.

I installed the board manually via these instructions.

When verifying the initial empty sketch, I see:

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Linux), Board: “Pololu A-Star 32U4”

The current selected board needs the core 'arduino:arduino' that is not installed.
/usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /usr/share/arduino/hardware -hardware /home/ravi/Arduino/hardware -tools /usr/share/arduino/tools-builder -libraries /home/ravi/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=pololu:avr:a-star32U4 -ide-version=10808 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_299010 -warnings=none -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_842714 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /tmp/untitled689103723.tmp/sketch_feb05a/sketch_feb05a.ino

Selected board depends on 'arduino' core (not installed).

I installed the IDE via:

pacman -S arduino arduino-avr-core

What is the next thing to check for?

Hello.

I noticed you posted this question, and your solution to it, on the Arduino Stack Exchange forum. I am glad you were able to resolve it. For anyone else running into this issue, the solution presented is:

I needed to install the driver for: Arduino AVR Boards. Under Tools -> Board -> Board Manager

-Tony

Could you please add this to Troubleshoting, @TonyP?