Arduino and SVP-1284

I just bought a SVP-1284 and I wish I could program it with Arduino Environment.
Anyone have done so?
I am actually using a mac, and I would like too program the micro using something different than the terminal.
Thanks

Hello, juliocio.

As far as we know, the standard Arduino libraries (which provide functions like “millis()”) will not work on an ATmega1284p so we are unaware of any way to program the SVP using the Arduino IDE. You might be able to figure something out.

You can use any text editor you want to edit the code. It seems like a lot of Mac people like to use TextMate. If switching to the terminal to program is too cumbersome for you, there might be some way to add a custom menu command to TextMate that will run “make program” for you.

–David

According to this page, the 1284p in the orang will work, and has been tested with the Arduino core. Libraries would be hit-and-miss, and no guarantee on the timing being correct. But if all you want is the IDE anyway, then you’re set.

I would guess that you would have to create a new entry in board.txt with the correct oscillator speed. You don’t need a bootloader, but you would need to add the programmer to programmer.txt.

Lines to add to programmers.txt:

avrispv2.name=AVR ISP v2
avrispv2.communication=serial
avrispv2.protocol=avrispv2[/code]

I don't have the board to test it, but I would guess this would work for boards.txt:[code]orangutan1284p.name=Pololu Orangutan w/ ATmega1284p via Programmer
orangutan1284p.upload.using=avrispv2
orangutan1284p.upload.maximum_size=128000

orangutan1284p.build.mcu=atmega1284p
orangutan1284p.build.f_cpu=20000000L
orangutan1284p.build.core=arduino
orangutan1284p.build.variant=mega

It may not recognize the atmega1284p entry, which would probably require some deeper modifications to the core. I do not have a board to test it, so I can’t help you there. This may not work with IDEs older than 1.0.