ACS714 current sensor

Hi guys

I am doing a project on a Home Energy Management System. For my current sensing, I am using the ACS714 sensor. I have soldered header pins to the Vcc, Gnd and Vout. Connecting the Vout to my arduino

Linking :

• 5V is produced from the Arduino itself (PC connected) so it shouldn’t be a problem
  • Gnd provided by Arduino and a DC power supply
  • Using LabVIEW as my program, I got a 2.5V in the program. But when I turn on my lamp, there is no increase in voltage output
  • The LabVIEW program used is the example called AnalogReadPin.vi
  • As a basic current sensor, I expected it to increase through raw readings

Please help, urgent

Hello.

I am sorry you are having trouble reading the current from that sensor. I think you should simplify your setup. Can you remove the current sensor from your LabVIEW setup, remove your lamp, set up a simple circuit with a known current draw (something appropriate for this sensor, like 2A or 3A), connect your sensor to the circuit, and measure the output of the sensor with a multimeter? For the circuit, you could use a resistor with a high wattage rating and benchtop power supply, or if you do not have access to that kind of resistor, you could use several low wattage resistors in parallel to make your load.

Additionally, I noticed you emailed us about this. The email made it sound like the current sensor was previously working in a different setup. Can you clarify? Was the sensor working as you expected before?

-Jon

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, i have tried with using a simpler circuit together with a DC power supply and measured the output voltage of the sensor. As usual, it has not changed and maintained at 2.5V approx.

The sensor was working when connecting through the breadboard. But after i soldered my header pins, it failed. But i don’t feel that it is the cause of the failure.

-modulate

Can you tell me more about your new setup? How are you supplying power? How much current are you expecting to measure? Can you post pictures that clearly show both sides of your board? Can you also post pictures that show how your board is connected in your simpler DC circuit setup?

-Jon

Hi. I am having the same problem as him. I was not able to detect any changes in the voltage. I have bought another three times thinking that it was spoilt. However that was not the case. I am supplying the module with a 5V DC . My circuit has only a lamp. The current flowing through is 0.01A. But my voltage output that I sense from my current sensor still remains unchange at 2.5V DC. Everything that I have done is the same as the guy above. Please help me.

Hello, robotboy.

From the information you sent us in your email and what you said in your post here, it is not clear to me what components are involved in your system or if you have done the things we suggested in our last email (e.g. using an oscilloscope if accessible and switching to a DC power source).

If you are still using 230VAC, please note that working with such high voltages is very dangerous, and from your questions it sounds like you are not experienced enough to do it safely. We recommend that if you want to proceed with your project, you do it under the supervision of someone qualified to work on such designs.

With AC voltage, the sensor’s output will be fluctuating back and forth, which would probably be hard to capture with a multimeter. Also, none of our current sensors are appropriate to measure currents in the 0.01A range, so if that is the current you are trying to measure, you will likely need a much more precise device.

-Brandon