6V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V50F6

Dear Pololu Team,
I am planning to power an Arduino Due from a solar panel that generates max 6.5-7 VDC. I am thinking to use a 6V step-up converter (pololu.com/product/2566) in order to maintain a 6VDC across the microcontroller during low sun intensity. At a solar voltage lower than a lipo battery then the battery is activated.
According to your documentation "If VIN is higher than VOUT, the higher input voltage will show up on the output, which is potentially dangerous for your connected load and could also damage the regulator."
Could you please advise me if the regulator will be damaged if the voltage of the solar panel will be above 6V?
Best regards
George

Hello, George.

It is unclear from your post how you plan to connect this regulator with the solar panel, the LiPo battery, and the microcontroller. If you could elaborate or provide a schematic of how you plan to connect everything, we might be able to help you more.

As you already quoted from the U3V50F6 regulators product page, if a voltage higher than 6V is applied to VOUT (which is the case when the voltage on VIN is higher than 6V) the regulator could be damaged.

-Nathan

Hello Nathan,
Thanks for your reply and your help.
I am planning to connect solar panel, charger, and battery using this product … adafruit.com/products/390.
After your advice it would be probably better to use a Pololu 6V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S18V20F6 which maintains a fixed 6V output even if input voltage is up to 30V.
Best regards
George

Hello Nathan again,
The limit for an Arduino Due is 6V so probably I should purchase a Pololu Adjustable 4-12V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S18V20ALV and adjust the proper voltage.
Best regards
George

Hello Nathan,
I just made a schematic of the configuration.
Best regards
George

Hello, George.

Based on that diagram, it looks like the S18V20ALV could work in your application. I recommend adjusting the regulator output to 7V to 12V to match Arduino’s recommended operating voltage for the Due.

- Nathan

Thanks Nathan!
- George