6V Step-Down switching regulator, high amperage

Hi guys, thank you for such a great product like this one: https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2111 !

I have a suggestion, can you make a similar product but with 6V output so we can use it to power servos from a higher voltage battery? I really love the Enable capability so I can send the pulses to the servos first and only then power them up so they do not violently move out of position at power up and then back to the home position after receiving the pulses.

Thank you very much for your work and products!

Hello.

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you find that you don’t get as much performance as you’d like out of your servos at 5V? If we did release a version with a 6V output, would you have a preference for the alternate selectable output voltage?

- Ben

Hi Ben, sorry for not replying sooner… Someone suggested that I could use a BEC device to power the servos from a 7.4V (or greater) LiPo. So I have been looking out for such devices and I have found some that were not too expensive to be worth it. The idea is we build robots that use many servos (up to 24) like hexapods, bipeds… that need to get the most of the servos but not kill them in the process. Some servos allow overvoltage, but most of them will fry at some point. That’s why we need 6V regulated from a a 2S LiPo (lighter battery than NiMH, a very important aspect in a legged robot). So, think about making a switching voltage regulator that can handle the current needed by 18 to 24 servos and you’ll have a great product. I don’t think a secondary voltage would matter much, but if you really want to include this feature, make it 5V.

i dont want to open another thread since this one is not to old and really similar.

i suggest you make a 5v regulator for continuous currents of 20A that could output a 3.3v at the same time.
input: 4-25V
output: 5V (20A) AND 3.3V (500mA)

that would be great for driving several motors or a large number of servos and 3.3v boards.
some kind of flat surface on top for mounting heatsinks wouldn’t be a bad idea either.