5V Boost Regulator and current overload

Hi, i want to ask what happend if i connect a 3.7v 800mah lipo battery with a Boost Regulator to 4 (four) 5V RC Servos and the working current load achive 800 ma when all servo working togheter?
Could your boost regulator support the 800 ma of current load?
Or it only supply 200 ma?
Cout the booster be damaged?
Please, explain me a bit.

Hello.

I think you could benefit from reading this blog post by our company president: Understanding battery capacity: Ah is not A.

Which boost regulator are you asking about? The maximum current should be documented on the product page for that regulator.

A good rule of thumb is that each servo could draw about an amp, so you should try to find a regulator capable of supplying at least one amp per servo (4 amps), or you should power your servos from different regulators.

–David

Hi David, and thank for the info you address me.

First I talking about “Pololu 5V Boost Regulator NCP1402” it delivers up to 200 mA.

• i connect it to a lipo 3.7 V 800 mA/h (i know mA/h <> mA)
  • i want to know what happened to the boost regulator if i use it with some servo sinking more current (ie: some peaks of 600 ma by 10 seconds)?, it will go heat and burned?
  • or have this regulator any protection?

now, talking about "Pololu Adjustable Boost Regulator 2.5-9.5V"
same questions: what happened if servo sink 600 ma?, have it any protection?, apparently it could go but please help me undestand the boost specifications.

best regards, pescadito

The Pololu 5V Boost Regulator NCP1402 will not work for your application. If you want more information about it, you could read the NCP1402 datasheet, which is found in the resources tab on the product page. The regulator does have a current limit feature documented on page 14 of the datasheet, but it also says in the Absolute Maximum Ratings section that if too much current goes into the LX pin it may damage the device.

The Pololu Adjustable Boost Regulator 2.5-9.5V would probably work for powering one of your servos. As stated on the product page, it has “integrated over-temperature and over-current shutoff”, and according to the graphs at the bottom of the product page it can boost 3.3 V to 5 V with ~85% efficiency while providing 1 A.

–David

Thank David, you have been very clear!!