5kg SumoBot Competition Robot

I am designing a robot to compete in a SumoBot Competetion - Open Division in April in North Carolina. Max weight is 5kg or 11.0lbs, max size is 10in x 10in x 10in.

I am considering a low profile design with a passive scoop front. I want to use 6 powered 2 inch diameter wheels. Ultimately I would like to construct the robot with aluminum but my proof of concept and maybe first version for competition will be 3D printed in ABS plastic. Even in this case, I will probably go with aluminum for the front scoop for durability.(?)

I did some research and think the 30:1 Metal Gearmotor 37Dx68L mm with 64 CPR Encoder is a reasonable choice for the motors. Hope to have a quick but powerful SumoBot.

I want to use an Arduino for the processor.

I really like the Zumo 32U4 but it is too small for my needs. Does it make any sense to buy the kit to hack the component board and sensors for my project? Or am I being lazy and should identify the specific components I need and buy them separately?

Would love some feedback on this project… like validation of my motor and gearbox selection. Maybe suggestions for other components I have not adequately considered.

Thanks!

Hello.

I am not sure if it would really be worthwhile to use the Zumo 32U4 control board. You would need to use a different motor driver and we make stand-alone versions of most of the sensors on there (that have their own Arduino libraries). Our A-Star 32U4 Prime boards have an LCD, buzzer, and push buttons (with Arduino libraries) integrated. You can see more about how all of the sensors are connected to the microcontroller on the Zumo 32U4 in the Pin Assignments section of the Zumo 32U4 user’s Guide.

We do not have any specific advice for which motors to use, but those do not seem obviously underpowered. Someone posted a link to a “Drive Motor Sizing Tool” on our forum recently that might be a helpful place to start.

-Nathan