3pi+ oled header changes

The 3pi+ had a lcd header that provided 4 pins, 5v gnd. Pins were Input-Output.
Looking at the header on the newer 3pi+ it appears even though the same pins are there is fine print next to it stating the the pins are 3.3 v and output only?

I get that the oled might operate at 3.3v and obviously requires less pins but why output only?

am I correct in assuming that there is no way on the oled version to connect 5v sensors or even connect 3.3v sensors and collect input without having to solder additional headers, or is there something I am missing? In the past I used all 4 pins (0, 1, 17, 30) under the lcd for a servo and ultrasonic sensor. I am looking to do the same on the oled version without having to solder every students unit (not scalable!)

Hello.

The pins on the OLED display header are connected to level-shifting circuitry that is not bi-directional, so they cannot be used as inputs. The expansion areas on the board that give access to those pins are not level shifted and can be used for digital I/O, so if you remove the display, you could use those, but you would need to solder headers to them since they do not come pre-soldered.

Especially if you are ordering these in volume, we can work with you to either continue supplying the older LCD version or a custom-soldered OLED version of the robot. Please email us at support@pololu.com if this is something you would like to pursue further.

Brandon

I just wanted to follow up here in-case my email on 2/9 to support@pololu.com was missed.

I understand there are supply issues so I am assuming that is why I have not been contacted back. I will start perusing another solution.
Thank you for your time.

Hello.

I apologize for the delay, and thank you for following up. We did get your email, and we will get back to you shortly.

- Ben