3pi+32U4 OLED Robot and remote control via WiFi or Bluetooth

Hello:

I am interested in using the Pololu 3pi+32U4 robot but controlling it remotely (either via Bluetooth, WiFi, or Xbee (as last case)). However, I could not find any information regarding this. Can someone tell me if I can easily add a Bluetooth extension or, preferably, a WiFi module extension? And if it is possible, what parts (extensions) would you recommend?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Hello.

The 3pi+ 32U4 robots do not have any built-in support for wireless control like that, but if you remove the display, you can access the serial UART pins. There are a lot of Bluetooth/WiFi modules available that let you send serial data, although we do not have any specific recommendations for one. Then, you can write a program that responds to the wireless commands you send. You can see an example of this in the “Serial slave program” section of the original 3pi Robot user’s guide.

If you wanted to keep the display, you could use software serial with other pins, but please note that each I/O pin is already being used for some other purpose, so you will need to disable or disconnect one or more of the built-in features to access them. You can find some information about this in the “Adding electronics” section of the 3pi+ 32U4 user’s guide.

Alternatively, you might consider using a Romi Robot Chassis with the Romi 32U4 Control Board. The Romi 32U4 Control Board can be used as a base for a Raspberry Pi, so you could use a Raspberry Pi board that has Bluetooth or WiFi built in to communicate with it.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. I will follow the recommendations.

1 Like