2.4GHz trancseiver with video streaming capability

Hi, I’m looking for advice on how to build a radio system:
What I’m trying to do is a 2-way comunication between operator and rc model
The system consists of two subsystems:

1. flight controls:
  • 6 to 8 channels from operator to rc vehicle
  • telemetry from vehicle to operator
    2.video communication and camera controls system:
  • camera movements controlled by 3d accelerometer mounted to iGlasses (head movements control pan and tilt) - that will use 2 channels
  • zoom in/out, video/still picutre mode selection, record video/take photo controls (another 3 channels)
  • video streaming from rc vehicle to operators iGlasses (if I could use two cameras for stereographic view, that would be great!)

so summarizing, I need up to 11 channels from operator to vehicle and video streaming + 3 channels + telemetry from vehicle to operator.

Please help! I’m advanced in soldering and general electronics, but just starting programming microcontrollers (I have some experience with C++ and Visual Basic)

Many thanks in advance - looking forward to hear from you.

Do you know what kind of data rate you are going to need for your video stream?

–David

Not sure how it converts to data rate, but the video is supposed to be 30fps at somewhere between VGA, SVGA or HD (higher resolution the better of course!)

Forgot to mention: the range is expected to be up to 3000 meters (10,000 ft)

If you’re planning on transmitting such high-quality video that far (in the US) you’re definitely talking about a transmitter powerful enough that you’ll need at least an FCC amateur license. Before you start looking at specific components you might want to look into what you can get a license for. Here’s a good place to start.

Good luck!

-Adam

Ok, lets rewind a bit: so, what are the options without the licence?
I can stream standard VGA video wirelessly and record the hi quality at the same time locally on the vehicle.
What is the maximum range I’d be looking at and what radios would do the best job in this case?

Cheers
Tom.

I don’t have a specific transmitter/receiver pair to recommend to you, but the best ones you can (legally) operate without a license advertise a line-of-sight range of 300’, so think of that as the theoretical upper limit.

Getting an amateur radio license isn’t that difficult (especially now that they’ve dropped the Morse Code requirement), and it lets you own/operate up to five higher power wireless video transmitters for personal use. It also gets you into the realm of video transmitters like these: iftrontech.com/

The licenses are sometimes weirdly specific, so I would say pick a transmitter/receiver pair that suit your needs first, then go on the FCC website or give them a call. Your local HAM radio club that can also probably help you out.

-Adam

there are many here,-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=FPV&idCategory=316&ParentCat=172 - from 100mw to 1.5watts, 900mhz, 1.2, 2.4, and 5.8 ghz, telemetry can be sent via the audio channel . i believe usa restricts to half watt (500mw), with a directional antenna, u can probably get your desired altitude. i have seen some wifi antenna amplifiers used on 2.4ghz rc radios, boosting the stock (about 60mw) to 1 watt, but this may be illegal in some countries . u may wanna have a look at frsky 2 way communications (frsky-rc.com), i do not think it is enough for video tho, but telemetry, yes.
“Receiver is able to accept serial data streams from simple 3-wire RS232 port, such information as GPS, altitude, and user developed data can be transferred to Tx without error, and sent at the RS232 port on the Tx.” at 11bit