Stackable

Hi!

I wanted to know if someone can help me out. Is the Pololu 33926 DC driver shield stackable? I planned on stacking two of these shield to run two DC motors each and then wire in a stepper motor breakaway board for one stepper motor on an arduino uno. Appreciate the help!

Hello.

I know you spoke to our support staff about this earlier, but I wanted to post the answer here for others to see as well.

Yes, the Pololu Dual MC33926 Motor Driver Shield for Arduino is stackable, but you would need to remap the connections. You can find that information under the “Remapping the Arduino Connections” in the Dual MC33926 Motor Driver Shield User’s Guide.

- Amanda

[quote=“AmandaS”]Hello.

I know you spoke to our support staff about this earlier, but I wanted to post the answer here for others to see as well.

Yes, the Pololu Dual MC33926 Motor Driver Shield for Arduino is stackable, but you would need to remap the connections. You can find that information under the “Remapping the Arduino Connections” in the Dual MC33926 Motor Driver Shield User’s Guide.

• Amanda[/quote]

Hi Amanda! Yes thank you for the information provided. Tomorrow I receive the shield and plan on tinkering by Sunday. If I wanted to use the minimum amount of pins from the arduino from one board, just enough to move two dc motors. What pins would be absolutely necessary for that?

I guess to get a better picture. Would I be able to spin dc motors without connecting the D2, SF, A1 and A0 pins on your shield?

You do not need to control the status flag indicator pin (nSF) or the current sense outputs (A0 and A1) to drive your motors; however, we recommend monitoring nSF when practical to be aware of motor driver faults that might occur. You also do not need to connect a GPIO pin to the nD2 pin, but it still needs to be connected high to enable the driver outputs. An easy way to do this is to connect nD2 to its adjacent VDD pin with a jumper. You can read more about how to do this under the “Enable Jumper” heading in the “Assembly for Use as a General-Purpose Motor Driver” section of the MC33926 shield’s user’s guide.

By the way, if you plan on using the Arduino pins connected to the nSF, A0, A1, and nD2 pins for other purposes, I recommend cutting the traces to those pins on both boards so you will not inadvertently send signals to the drivers. (If you later decide you want to access those pins again, you can install male headers and jumpers to easily reconnect to them.)

- Amanda