What OS for home automation with Raspberry?

What OS i should use for home automation with Raspberry and Mini Maestro and UscCmd?

Note i’m total newbie in unix…

Hello.

I would recommend downloading the NOOBS image from the Raspberry Pi foundation, which gives you a choice of operating systems. I think you should go with Raspbian, which is the one the Raspberry Pi foundation recommends. We do not support running the Maestro software on the Raspberry Pi, but I think you should be able to get UscCmd to work if you just use the Maestro’s Linux software download and follow the instructions in its README.txt. From what I have heard, mono (the C# runtime that our software uses) does not support the armhf architecture of the Raspberry Pi, but UscCmd seems to work anyway. If not, there is plenty of other example code you could use to control a Maestro from a Raspberry Pi.

Please note that you will want to have a Windows or a Linux PC (x86 or x64) to initially configure the Maestro; you will need to change its serial mode to something other than the default which is “UART, detect baud rate”. This could be done with UscCmd but it is a lot easier to do it with the Maestro Control Center.

–David

Thanks.

Where i can find these example codes in the case i need these?

Do you have instructions how to initially configure the Maestro without Windows or Linux?

For the example code I referred to, please see the “Related Resources” section of the Maestro User’s Guide.

To configure your Maestro’s serial mode with UscCmd instead of the Maestro Control Center, you can do this:

1. Run “UscCmd --getconf maestro.xml”
  2. In maestro.xml, change the contents of the SerialMode tag from UART_DETECT_BAUD_RATE to UART_FIXED_BAUD_RATE.
  3. Run “UscCmd --configure maestro.xml”

–David