What i need done will this work?

I’M WANTING TO BUY A MAESTRO 6 CHANNEL SERVO CONTROLLER AND A SHARP 2CM TO 10CM IR DETECTOR pololu.com/product/1134 TO CONTROL MY 1 SERVO 180 DEGREES AND BACK, AND WILL THIS CONTROLLER WORK TO CONTROL A 5.0V MICRO SELONOID RELAY ON/OFF ITS A NORMALLY CLOSED RELAY IN WHICH I WANT TO BE OPEN FOR ONLY 5 SECONDS, SO WHAT I’M WANTING IS WHEN I PUT MY HAND IN FRONT OF THE IR SENSOR IT WILL MOVE THE SERVO FORWARD AND BACK AND THEN TURN ON MY RELAY FOR 5 SECONDS, ANY ASSISTANCE WILL MUCH APPRECIATED
THANKYOU

Hello.

You can probably do something like that with the Maestro. You will need to write a script to handle the digital input signal and servo movements. You can see more about the Maestro scripting language in the Maestro user’s guide. Some of the example scripts might be a good place to start getting familiar with the Maestro scripting language.

If you get started on a script and get stuck, post your script and I would be glad to take a look at it.

I am not sure if the Maestro would be able to switch your micro solenoid relay. The “Maestro User’s Guide” “Micro Maestro Pinout and Components” section has some information about how much current the Maestro can output on its signal pins. You should check the datasheet for your micro solenoid relay to see if there is some specification for the current required to activate it. If your relay takes more then the Maestro can source, you could use one of our “Pololu RC Switch with Relay” as an alternative to your relay.

By the way, not all standard RC servos can rotate 180 degrees, so I recommend making sure that the one you have can.

-Derrill

Thank you so much for your reply, I’m still going to try and write the script, but an happy that you will try and help if I run into some problem, also my micro relay can be made to my specs from 3.5 volts to 22.0 volts in which I’m gonna have them wind it for 5 volts, the same volts for my servo and maestro board, tell me what you think, and again, thank you.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi, Michael.

I do not have any clear idea how much current your relays draw, so I cannot really evaluate whether your plan will work or not. As I said in my last post, you should compare the datasheet for your micro solenoid relay, with the information on the current the pins on the Maestro can output in the “Micro Maestro Pinout and Components” section of the Maestro user’s guide to be sure those pins can source enough current for those relays.

Additionally, you might consider using more than 5V for the Maestro power. With the Maestro’s minimum operating voltage right at 5V, so you risk a brown-out situation if the voltage drops below 5V.

-Derrill