VB Delay difficulties

Hello Everyone,

Im trying to build a Vj project driven by a six channel maestro. It works with beat measurement, this is the calculation:

(Beats per minute / 60 seconds) - Servo turning time = Servo Pausing time

Both turning time and pausing time are used by timers which holds and starts the servo on the beat, Servo turning time is a variable because of the various types of servos. Im using visual basic.

The problem is that with everytime my loop is completed the turning time adds up until my maestro crashes, it simply will take no more commands.

The standard polulu software allows you to delay every single command you give it instead of setting TrySetTarget() is this also possible with VB/C?

Here is my code

Sub Turn()
        If Stoploop = 0 Then
            aTimer.Enabled = False
            TrySetTarget(0, 4000)
            aTimer.Enabled = True
            aTimer.Interval = 2000
            aTimer.AutoReset = True

bTimer.Enabled = True
            bTimer.Interval = 1000
            AddHandler bTimer.Elapsed, AddressOf Pauseshit

AddHandler aTimer.Elapsed, AddressOf Turn
            Sleep(1000)
        End If
    End Sub
    Sub Pauseshit()
        TrySetTarget(0, 0)
        bTimer.Enabled = False

End Sub

Forgot this one: its a continious rotation servo

The units of your formula look wrong the way you wrote them. The quantity “beats per minute / 60 seconds” would have units of 1/time^2, but you are subtracting a time from it. What are you really trying to do?

Could you please simplify your program down to the simplest thing that demonstrates the problem and then post your entire code? You posted the definitions of two subroutines but you didn’t post the code that actually calls the subroutines. You didn’t post the definitions of either of the timers so I don’t know which of the three .NET timer classes you are using.

What do you mean by “my Maestro crashes, it simply will take no more commands”. How do you know the Maestro crashed and not your program? What is the expected behavior of your system and what is the actual behavior?

Yes, it is possible to write VB or C programs that have delays.

–David

Ehm, im sorry maybe my english is a bit poor.

First id like to explain that dividing the BPM through seconds is impossible because the amount of beats per second would be >1. It would mean you have less then one second to turn the screen, pause it and make a new projection on it. Therefor i’m dividing the BPM through 2 or 4.

And of course its 60 seconds / BPM instead of BPM / 60 Seconds

But the question is; is there a way to use this format directly in VB, it would make writing different turning patterns much easier

begin
  4000 0 servo # set servo 0 to 1.00 ms
  500 delay
  5000 0 servo # 1.25 ms
  500 delay
  6000 0 servo # 1.50 ms
  500 delay
  7000 0 servo # 1.75 ms
  500 delay
  8000 0 servo # 2.00 ms
  500 delay
repeat

For now id like to use 1 second delays just to test the script, the calculations with BPM arent used yet. I’d tried the following timer methods in VB

Public Declare Function GetTickCount Lib "kernel32" () As Long
Dim t As new Timer

Both do more or less the same; when the script starts it makes rotations for 1 second and after that it pauses for 1 second. Then the loop starts again and the turning time increases with every loop until i get a message like: Connection denied through device.

A VB example with two timers would be nice, because i dont understand why this happens

Fixed

Private Shared Timer1 As New System.Timers.Timer
    Private Shared Timer2 As New System.Timers.Timer

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        TimerOn()
    End Sub
    Public Sub TimerOn()
        Timer1.Interval = 10000
        Timer1.Enabled = True

Timer1.AutoReset = True

AddHandler Timer1.Elapsed, AddressOf TimerinTimer
        AddHandler Timer1.Elapsed, AddressOf OnTimedEvent

End Sub
    Sub OnTimedEvent()
        MessageBox.Show("Tick")
    End Sub
    Sub TimerinTimer()
        Timer2.Interval = 3000
        Timer2.Enabled = True
        AddHandler Timer2.Elapsed, AddressOf OnTimedEvent2
    End Sub
    Sub OnTimedEvent2()
        Timer2.Enabled = False
        MessageBox.Show("Tick2")
    End Sub

By adding TrySetTarget() to OnTimedEvent and OnTimedEvent2, might be useful?

I’m glad you were able to fix your problem. --David

Another problem:

Now my timer code is working, but my maestro throws: access was denied when trying to connect to device. I’ve read that it could be the maestro pulling to much power from the USB Port, I already set USB Dual Port.

Leds are dimming on servoactions but are not going completely out.

It works like this:
Starting looped timer ->starting timer 2-> Trysettarget(0,8000) -> timer 2 elapsed -> TrySetTarget(0,0) -> Looped timer elapsed… Starts all over

im using the example functions TrySetTarget which is using the Using/End Using block. Am i overloading this function?

Is it necessary to attach 12V to the maestro board to solve this problem?

You will get an access denied error if you try to open/connect to the native USB interface of a Maestro when it is already opened by another program or by another part of your program. This has nothing to do with the Maestro pulling too much power from the USB port and it has nothing to do with setting the serial mode to USB Dual Port.

You need to write your code to ensure that you don’t call TrySetTarget at the same time in two different threads. Only one handle to the Maestro’s native USB interface can be open at a time, so the second thread that tries to open a handle to the Maestro will get an access denied error. The easiest way to satisfy this requirement is to use System.Windows.Forms.Timer instead of System.Timers.Timer because the former will run all your event handlers in the UI thread. For more information, read:
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164015.aspx

It’s unlikely that you are overloading TrySetTarget, but I think your problem is that you are calling it at the same time in two different threads. Attaching 12 V to the Maestro board will not solve this problem.

–David