Using external stepper driver with pololu tic825 to drive nema23 stepper motor

Hi,
How to connect pololu Tic 825 to external stepper driver to control high troque nema23 stepper motor.

we have Tic 825 , need to know how to connect below controller.

https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Digital-DSP-Stepper-Driver-5.6Amp-50Volt-CWD556

Thanks,
Ravi

Hello, Ravi.

It looks like that stepper motor driver has optoisolated inputs. So, you can connect the STEP pin on the Tic to STEP+ on your driver, the DIR pin on the Tic to DIR+ on your driver, and a GND pin on the Tic to STEP- and DIR-.

Brandon

Thanks a ton …Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Quick question. We are trying ‘Stepper Motor 4.5Nm D-Type Connection’ with the driver ‘CWD556’ and pololu TIC 825, but it’s getting really hot even if it is de-energized.
How can we reduce that? Is there any setting that we can use?

Thanks,
Ravi

Could you clarify how you are de-energizing it and which device is getting hot?

Brandon

Brandon, the stepper motor was getting hot. but it’s resolved now by limiting current on the stepper motor driver. But I also see a 5v pin on pololu tic825, can i use that to connect ena+ on the motor driver to disengage stepper motor?

I am not very familiar with your external stepper driver, but from the links you posted, it looks like driving the ENA+ pin high would disable the output. However, please note that the 5V (out) pin is always high when the board is powered, so if you connect it directly to your driver, you would not be able to enable it when you wanted.

It would probably be more practical to use the ERR pin on the Tic. The ERR pin is normally pulled low and gets driven high when there is an error. This includes the “Intentionally de-energized” error that happens when you send the Tic a “De-energize” command, so you could then use the “De-energize” command to disable the external driver.

Alternatively, you might consider providing that signal from whatever device you are using to control the Tic.

Brandon