UPDI for USB AVR Programmer v2.1 Pololu (3172)?

I really, really like this little on size, big on features programmer. Are there any plans to support UPDI (programming and debug) in the future?

Use case is the tiny-0 and tiny-1 series like the ATtiny416, etc.

Thank you for your kind words about our programmer. I looked into UPDI a little, and it seems like we would have to generate a high-voltage pulse on one of the pins to properly support UPDI. Our programmer does not have that high voltage generation, so we would have to do a hardware revision to even consider adding that mode. We do not have such a project underway, and doing a limited subset that might be possible through just a firmware change seems lame, so it is unlikely we would support UPDI in the near future.

The PICkit 4 and the MPLAB Snap programmers from Microchip both support UPDI, so you might consider using one of those if you need that feature.

Please let us know if you have any other comments or questions.

–David

Gotchya, I understand about the rev mess and all that. I, uh shameface, have an atmel-ice that does UPDI but doesn’t work with platformio (without driver wrangling). I like the fact that I can build and upload to multiple pololu programmers thru platformio. Keep making awesome stuff!