Tic T500 Serial Frame Error

Hello,

I’ve recently bought the Tic T500 to use for a project using multiple stepper motors. The Tic seems to work perfectly fine using the USB interface, however I’m planning to connect multiple tic’s using the method of using the serial interface as a sort of bus. However I can’t seem to get serial communication going with the Tic. For every command I send, the Tic Control Center says “Serial errors: Framing”.
I’ve looked at the settings and I’m using the 8-N-1 setup and 9600 baud rate, but to no success.

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem, as I’m beginning to think that the Tic serial interface is broken.

With kind regards,

Vytas Klyvis

Hello, Vytas.

What are you using to send serial commands to the Tic? Can you post the code you are using and the settings file for the Tic? You can save your Tic settings file by selecting the “Save settings file…” option within the “File” drop-down menu in the Tic Control Center. Also, if you have access to an oscilloscope, can you post a capture showing the signals from your serial device to the Tic?

- Amanda

Hello Amanda,

I’ve managed to get the Tic working using an Arduino and the Tic Library. It seems that the converter I’m using is a real RS-232 converter and not TTL serial. So my suspicion is that this is causing the frame error? I have therefore ordered a USB to TTL serial converter and will see if this fixes my problem.

With kind regards,

Vytas

I’m glad you got your Tic is working. Sending RS-232 signals to the Tic does seem likely to cause framing errors.

- Amanda

Hello,

Just to confirm. I have received the TTL serial cable and everything is working correctly now.

With kind regards,

Vytas