Stepper Motor Hook Up

I was wondering how the driver output “B1, B2, A1, and A2” on the stepper motor driver. Is it essential to hook up the motors wires or does not matter as long one coil is connected to either A or B outs?

Hello.

It is not entirely clear to me what you are asking. To clarify, both coils of the stepper motor need to be connected to the driver to work. The naming convention on the pins and how they related to the coil pairings varies depending on the driver. For example, on the A4988, one coil should be connected to the 2A and 2B pins, and the other coil should be connected to the 1A and 1B pins. However, on the DRV8834 and DRV8825, one coil should be connected to the A1 and A2 pins, and the other coil should be connected to the B1 and B2 pins. So, you should consult the documentation for the particular driver you are using to get the proper connection information.

If you are still unsure about how to connect your stepper motor, or I misinterpreted your question, please provide more information about what you are trying to do and what devices you are using.

Brandon

You answered my question. On the DRV8825 it does not matter what coil is connected to the A1 and A2. The other coil is connected to B1 and B2.

I guess the output labeling got me a little confused.

Thank you for the info. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 Like