SSC04A - Yellow LED constantly on

Hello,
i was looking for similar topics but I couldnt find my problem in here…
I am trying to connect an SSC04A via serial to a National Instruments cRIO. I connected Vin and GND to 5V and two servos on 0 and 1.
When I power the controller, the yellow LED goes on and stays on constantly, until I connect the Serial cable. I can also have the serial cable connected and power the controller, the LED will then stay on until I start sending my data to it. It immediately goes off then and only goes back on after either repowering it or disconnecting the serial…
The serial data that i send are sequences of 6 bytes [255,0,128,255,1,128] in mini ssc II mode,at 9600 baud just to test the servos.
But all i get is a yellow LED…i havent found anything in the documentation or in the forum, it would be awesome if you could help me!

Thanks, Olli

Hello.

The LED functions are described on page 4. The second paragraph under “Serial Input” also describes what the LEDs do and is relevant to your description. What you’re describing sounds like normal operation, though. If you are unexpectedly getting back to a yellow LED on situation, it might be because your controller inadvertently reset, probably because of noise on the power line.

- Jan

Hey jan, thanks for your fast response!
i found that part in the documentation, but why is the yellow LED on when there is no serial cable at all connected,according to the doc it should be all LEDs on then right? i also tried to set the baudrate to very high and very low(just to see if other LEDs blink), the behaviour of the controller does not change…
Another scenario would be: Serial plugged in -> power for the controller on, LED turns on-> sending data, LED turns off -> stop sending data, but stays off -> unplugged from serial, LED turns on again…
that means the LED doesnt turn on randomly, it only turns off and not back on again (unless i unplug it or reset the power).
any ideas what i can do or what it could be?

Olli

The serial line defaults to a valid state. Before the controller gets anything, that corresponds to the yellow LED being on. If the serial port disconnect is causing the LED to come back on, it’s probably because the controller is getting reset by the serial port. Do you have the jumper on for the reset line to be controlled by the handshaking lines?

- Jan

The jumper is not on the DTR/RTS pins, not on the reset pin…
should it be on there?
ok so youre saying that the controller is ready to receive, when the yellow LED is on and obviously receiving data when all the LEDs are off…that means i might have a problem in my sent data?(cause the motors are not moving)

Olli